Lock down...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by smilinmonki666, Feb 25, 2008.

1. smilinmonki666 macrumors regular

Ok, just a quick question. Is there a way to lock OS X without having to close any apps running. I'm trying to convert .vob's via HandBrake but need the computer locked as I will not be near the machine? Is there anyway of doing this without having to log off? in windows I can lock the computer & leave programs running?

Cheers

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Let the screensaver go with password protection. That won't stop the encoding.

3. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Just make sure it won't go to sleep before it finishes.

4. smilinmonki666 thread starter macrumors regular

how do you go about this in Lep then? I've searched for ages but with no luck? in settings & everywhere????

:confused::(

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Or open Keychain Access found in utilities

Then keychain access - preferences - General - Show Status in menu bar. This will put a little lock icon on your menu bar over on the right and you can Lock screen from their.

It is essentially the same thing as Peace said but slightly different way of activating it.

edit:

System Preferences - Security - Require Password to wake this computer from sleep or screensaver.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Open up Keychain Access in the Utilities folder, activate the preferences, turn on menu status. Then you can lock the screen instantly by selecting the new lock icon on the menubar and choosing "Lock Screen".

TEG

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Open preferences and click on Expose'

Make sure a corner is set to start the screensaver :

Attached Files:

8. smilinmonki666 thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers guys, i knew it would be somewhere. Its my dads iMac & didn't wanna mess with it. Still new to OS X. Can't wait to get my iMac.

Again, thank you for your help...

9. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

I also like the ability to lock my system when I leave it unattended. Here's what I did:

You can set the screensaver to lock by going to System Preferences > Security and selecting "Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screensaver".

Then, a great way to start the screensaver (thus password protecting your system) is to use Expose. Go to System Preferences > Dashboard and Expose and choose one of the items under Active Screen Corners (I did the upper right-hand one) and select Start Screen Saver. From now on, you just have to move your mouse pointer to the corner you chose in order to lock the screen.

Edit: I see some people beat me to it! Oh well, at least you can use my instructions for password protecting the screensaver...

10. smilinmonki666 thread starter macrumors regular

OK, using OS X 10.5.2 but not working on the wake from sleep? Any guess why?

Got it working, had to disable it first...

11. smilinmonki666 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, so I've sorted the lock screen out, & it works. My problem now is that HandBrake was causing an error when the scree was locked. Anyone else have this problem???