Lock for Unibody Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jmoy, Aug 19, 2009.

1. jmoy macrumors newbie

I recently bought the Kensington Microsaver Keyed Lock at the Apple Store for my 15 inch unibody MBP. I need one for college.

I used it once I got home and it wiggles when I lock it in. And once I take it out I found 2-3 scratches inside the hole. :(

I'm planning on returning it. Is there a lock that someone can suggest that actually works well with the new unibody MBPs?

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I have the same set-up and it's tight as a clam's @ss. Do you have the T-bar fully rotated? It should snug right up with the rubber gasket. You can also avoid scratches by using a small piece of cheapo iphone screen protector around the hole.

3. jmoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you teach me how to protect the hole with the screen protector? How should I go about doing that?

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Get a cheap (like $1-ish) iphone screen protector from the likes of mertline or eforcity (the reason you don't want to simply use packing tape is that it will leave a gummy residue behind after awhile). Decided how big of an area around the hole you want to protect from scratches. Cut the screen protector to that width and to the height of the side of your MBP. Put a small slit in the center of your creation for the t-bar of the lock to fit through. Apply protector to MBP, centering your slit over the lock hole. You now have protection from bad aim with the t-bar when attaching your lock.

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Aw, thanks OYK :D