Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
I was wondering if there was a way to just lock the settings down...my little niece plays on my moms iPhone 4 a lot and she has been known to change settings on accident.

Is there a way to prevent her from being able to access settings at all?

Thanks!

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I was wondering if there was a way to just lock the settings down...my little niece plays on my moms iPhone 4 a lot and she has been known to change settings on accident.

Is there a way to prevent her from being able to access settings at all?

Thanks!

I may be wrong, but there is no way to lock someone out of settings. You can put restrictions on, but it does nothing to help in the way of settings. Yet again, another reason the ipad needs to adopt user profiles. So many people share ipads across users.

I got a nexus 7 for this very reason. I can create a profile for a child and pick which apps they can and cannot have access to.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Go to SETTINGS > GENERAL > ACCESSIBILITY

Turn on "Guided Access," set a passcode, and turn on the Accessibility Shortcut switch.

Then, launch an app for her to use and triple-click the home button. She will be locked in that app until you triple-click and enter your pin code.

This is even better than just locking the settings because it keeps her from texting people, erasing contacts, returning emails, etc.

You'll have to switch apps for her when she wants to, but that's a small price to pay.

Also, I suggest turning this on when you see her and off the rest of the time. I find that it slows down double-click response a little because it's constantly waiting an extra half-second to see if you're going to triple-click. When you turn it off that lag goes away.

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
That seems to do the trick. She seems frustrated that she is stuck in one application since she got used to being able to go to whatever she wanted to before...her great grandma passed away in June 2013 and she was very close to her and we have photos of her on the iPad and iPhones and she liked to go to the pictures and look at them. But if she wants to see "Nanny" then we can always lock her in the photos app and lock her out of the delete key, I think that is an option with the guided access!

Thanks guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.