Lock option in Watch OS 3.1.3

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by saxman211, Feb 2, 2017.

1. saxman211 macrumors regular

saxman211

Just updated the Watch OS 3.1.3 and noticed the "lock watch" option is gone... Does anyone know what happened? Or is there another way to lock the watch while it's still on your wrist?

2. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502

OriginalAppleGuy

You probably have wrist detection on. Check the settings on the watch or iPhone...in General, scroll down until you see Wrist Detection. If it's green, it's on and you will not see the lock option.

3. saxman211 thread starter macrumors regular

saxman211

I just tried turning wrist detection off and lost my apple pay info. Apparently if you turn wrist detection off, the fitness app and wallet lose most of it's function. I don't understand why this feature couldn't have been left on the watchOS. Maybe if enough of us complain about it, they'll bring it back... http://www.apple.com/feedback/watch.html

4. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502

OriginalAppleGuy

Yea, it tells you that when you select it off and asks you if you really want to do that. It's a safety feature I like. If your concern is keeping the watch from doing something while it's on your wrist, maybe try using the swimming mode (water drop icon)?

5. saxman211 thread starter macrumors regular

saxman211

I've decided to just give feedback to Apple. I don't understand the reason behind deleting that function. Hopefully they'll put it back on. The Water function can easily be deactivated by simply turning the knob. I want something that no one can access even if it's on my wrist.

6. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502

OriginalAppleGuy

Well, until then, you could temporarily remove the watch to lock it and put it back on.

7. saxman211 thread starter macrumors regular

saxman211

I could... but that's annoying.. lol

8. Debauch macrumors member

I agree. It's annoying that this function was removed. Sometimes the watch slides down my wrist far enough to where the back of my hand will press the crown and activate siri (when I bend it back such as in a push up position or using my hand to push off something). I used to lock the watch to prevent this.

9. MVPinFLA macrumors 6502

Perhaps the theater mode that is coming in 3.2 will provide you with what you are looking for.

10. chuyn macrumors 6502

I'm sure it would also be annoying if Apple Pay worked without wrist detection. Anyone could take it and use it. Or typing a pin every time you use it yourself

11. saxman211 thread starter macrumors regular

saxman211

True. I understand that. But someone being able to access your watch while you're sleeping is a pain too. I could definitely take it off, but I forget that sometimes. Also, the lock feature being on didn't mean I had to enter the pin every time I wanted to use the watch. The pin would only have to be used when after I manually locked it. And before this update. Wrist detection was working AND I could use the pin to lock it on my arm. As soon as I took the watch off, the watch locked. It seemed like added protection to have that lock option... in my opinion...