Lock Screen App Recommendations

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by xreyuk, Jun 5, 2014.

1. xreyuk macrumors member

Hi guys,

Does this require Location Services to be enabled for the App Store, or does it run as a separate service, where it will still recommend even though the App Store has no location services access?

2. xreyuk thread starter macrumors member

3. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

4. xreyuk thread starter macrumors member

The feature where when you are stood outside somewhere, it suggests an App in the bottom left corner. I.E You could be stood outside Starbucks, and the Starbucks app appears.

Does this require the App Store to have 'Always' set for location services?

Thanks.

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I don't think it works the way you think it works. You would have to have the starbucks app installed and location turned on so when you get near starbucks it pops the app assuming you are going to enter.

Otherwise this would be a huge spamming tool of recommending apps everywhere you went which is kind of absurd.

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

As Armen says, it doesn't work the way you think it works. It does not suggest an app for a store you are near when you are nearby.

It suggests opening an app you already have downloaded when you are nearby. For instance, I was by Starbucks earlier, and it suggested opening my starbucks app. Or, near a financial center, it suggested I open my Fidelity app.

But again, it does not have anything to do with the App Store, as it is not recommending an app for you to download based on your current location.

7. xreyuk thread starter macrumors member

I see.

Thanks guys.

From what I've seen on the web though, people have been receiving application suggestions for Apps that they don't even own, and it then opened the App Store.

So as long as location services are turned on, it'll work? It won't matter what apps have access to location services?

Thanks.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

So what happens if you're at a square that contains a Target Store, Starbucks, Chase bank, BofA bank?

Which app would show up on your lockscreen?

9. fmalloy macrumors 6502

That's my question. Would be nice if it stacked them vertically.

Need more functionality on the lock screen, hope they keep coming...

10. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I don't want an open app spam everywhere I go honestly

11. fmalloy macrumors 6502

Need a lock screen settings window where you can turn this and other stuff off.

The lock screen needs more functionality. Most just look at the time and their pic and then slide to unlock.

Nice to have the notifications and control center available, but would be nice to have more things, but make them configurable. Too bad Apple doesn't like too much customization...

12. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

Actually, it does suggest you go download the app. I was in the gym (24 hour) and saw the app store icon. Flicked it and it took me to the 24 hour app. There is an option to turn location based prompts off under privacy.

13. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Not according to the front page of Macrumors. It actually suggests apps that are nearby. Since iOS 7 there has been the "near me" section of the App Store.

Front MacRumors front page:

"Update 11:55 PM PT: It appears that Apple will also suggest apps that are not installed when visiting certain locations. For example, a Twitter user who did not have the Costco app installed had a Costco app icon pop up when at local Costco, which took him to the App Store where he could download the app. He was not able to access the rest of the App Store after tapping the icon; only the Costco app was available. "

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/03/ios-8-apps-quick-access/

This.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

With TouchID on the 5S, I'm finding that sometimes the fingerprint unlock works so fast I don't even have time to look at the time! :p

16. xreyuk thread starter macrumors member

So, bearing all of this in mind, do we think that you need to give the app store access to your location 'always'?

17. xreyuk thread starter macrumors member

Anyone?