Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mototriu

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
I can't seem to get the lockscreen background to change for the life of me. Does it automatically change when you change the desktop background or is there a way to do it manually?

mototriu

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
I can't seem to get the lockscreen background to change for the life of me. Does it automatically change when you change the desktop background or is there a way to do it manually?

By the way I'm not talking about the screen thats shows up as soon as you turn on your macbook air I'm talking about the screen that asks you for your password after opening the lid of a macbook.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
you mean the Login screen. a number of apps can change this.
i use this.

make sure you download the right version for your OS.
go to Parameters>Login>Background.

create (or choose) an image that is the exact size of your mac screen
(i.e., on my 13" macbook pro, it's 1280 x 800).

have fun! proceed with care (always, when changing 'defaults'..)

pbrunnen

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
Hi All,
I am looking for the same thing as mototriu.

And No fisherking, I (we?) don't mean the Login screen... When the computer wakes after sleep, it displays the last desktop background behind the password input field for the logged-in user.

For me, our office uses auto-generated backgrounds with information in the images. I don't want that information displayed when the computer is locked. This wasn't a problem until we upgraded from 10.6 to 10.8... sadly under duress. 10.8 isn't bad, but there are certainly some unpleasant changes for us.

Thanks!
- Cheers, Peter.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
I have my desktop set to change every hour or so, and my lockscreen background consistently comes up with the last photo that was set.

My only advice would be to pop into ~/Library/Preferences and trash com.apple.desktop.plist. Maybe it's not quite right.

As for setting it independently of your usual background, I'm not sure how you could accomplish that. Perhaps start the screen saver before putting it to sleep? I think that would cause it to show the screensaver behind the password dialog rather than the desktop picture.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
what about something like this?

i use my macbook mostly at home; it locks the screen after an hour of sleep.
but...when i use it at a coffeebar, or elsewhere, i have that app in my launchpad, main screen.

i click on it, it locks the screen, using the LOGIN image in the background.

so...one extra step. but at least, check it out...

TofSanity

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2010
By the way I'm not talking about the screen thats shows up as soon as you turn on your macbook air I'm talking about the screen that asks you for your password after opening the lid of a macbook.

If you haven't figured this out yet do the following:

go to
/System/Library/CoreServices/DefaultDesktop.jpg

Find the DefaultDesktop.jpg
rename it DefaultDesktop1.jpg
now name your new image DefaultDesktop.jpg
then copy it into the folder where the original is
you will have to go through the whole password deal but this works.
just figured it out on mine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.