Lock Screen Music Controls

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by cdrider, Aug 11, 2012.

1. cdrider macrumors newbie

Hi

In iOS5 the lock screen controls are too close together. Has this been improved in iOS6? It's currently far too easy to accidentally fast forward or rewind when you mean to pause or play. There's a lot of wasted space at each side so wouldn't be too hrd to move the icons a bit.

Particularly annying for podcasts or audiobooks :mad:

thanks

Attached Files:

2. anyjungleinguy macrumors regular

Don't think so.

Attached Files:

3. cvam1985 macrumors regular

Yeah, they haven't changed anything like that. What I wish is there to be an option to get rid of that humongous "Genius" button underneath the scrubbing bar (not in the lock screen)

I hit that thing by accident way, way, way too much :mad:

4. mactmaster macrumors 6502

5. cvam1985 macrumors regular

:rolleyes:

And you must have some pretty skinny ones - see how close the bar is to the much larger "genius" button?

Honestly, who's going to use that button more than changing the position of the music?

[​IMG]

6. Djs621 macrumors regular

You know that an OS is pretty well developed when this is what your griping about

7. mactmaster macrumors 6502

Sure the two buttons are close when the play position knob is in the center but you don't select the knob from the edge... you put your finger over the center and it's pretty forgiving if you're not right on it. I just tried to hit the genius button by mistake but couldn't. Try aiming a little higher?

8. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

If you don't use that feature, then turn it off, then the button disappears. ;)

9. cvam1985 macrumors regular

Thanks - please tell me how.

10. cvam1985, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012

cvam1985 macrumors regular

I totally agree with that. But what's wrong with "griping" about how it could be improved even more?

Back on topic - can someone please tell me how to turn off the "genius" feature on my iPhone like that Genius up above suggested ?

11. GenesisST, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012

GenesisST macrumors 68000

GenesisST

1. Anonymity

2. I wish I couldmtell you how. I didn't see a setting for genius in my 30 second investigation...

----------

60 second investigation: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1347702

12. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I just wish there was a way to bring up the controls without having to double tap my home button. Or even the option to leave them on all the time (without needing a jailbreak tweak).

13. cvam1985 macrumors regular

Hey thanks - but when I do that the only option is "turn on Genius for apps".

14. byrn macrumors newbie

I agree that the lock screen buttons are too close together. They should be spaced far enough apart for easy thumb use.

Here's a way to work around it...

1. Press and hold the Play/Pause button.
    2. Slide your finger slightly downward until you see which button is highlighted.
    3. If the correct button is highlighted then lift your finger.
    4. If the incorrect button is highlighted, then slide your finger downward further until the button is no longer highlighted, then lift your finger and try again.

In other words, take a peak at what button is pressed before lifting up your finger.

Actually, this is what I do in iOS 5 to work around it, but hopefully it will still work in iOS 6, if the buttons remain that close together.

15. cdrider thread starter macrumors newbie

Good tips. Doesn't work so well when driving though ;) Guess I need Siri

16. shawnwich macrumors 6502

shawnwich

Am i the only one who thinks the lock screen is atrocious? lol

17. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

No not at all... I don't really seem to mind it myself, but i'm almost certain it's due for a face lift.

18. gaanee macrumors 6502a

Wish they add the seek (scroll) control on the lock screen, without it its not very usefull while listening to long music tracks. Wonder why did Apple decide to omit that???

19. meskida macrumors newbie

This is how I'd "redesign" the lock screen music controls:

Attached Files:

20. ethan028 macrumors 6502a

ethan028

Netsky<3

21. J.C macrumors 6502

I'd love the rating stars on the lockscreen. I use ratings a lot to organise my music and it would be so much faster to rate a song without unlocking.

22. J.C macrumors 6502

Really like it!

23. Nyk0n macrumors regular

Nyk0n

this does indeed work still in iOS 6 just tested it. i found the "genius" button only gets "pressed" if i touch lower than the icon itself the position slider was much more forgiving and easily reachable even when my "fat" thumb was over the genius icon

----------

looks good to me and something like apple would do...

24. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

I can’t help with the audiobooks, but Instacast skips back/forwards 30s (or a custom amount) rather than going to the beginning of the podcast or skipping to another one.

I think Apple’s new app might do something similar now as well. (I tried it briefly, but didn't like the interface)

I agree that this is something they should address, and it’s not just an issue for people with “fat fingers”. :rolleyes:

It’s just generally poor UI design to have the controls that close when they don’t need to be, and people can have trouble hitting targets like that for a number of reasons.

Definitely. This is the exact same problem as the old “quick” camera UI before they added it to the lock screen permanently.

My solution would be to have the controls always visible when playing audio, but not having the album art displayed unless you double-tap the button.