Lock screen notifications & backlight

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Roller, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Roller macrumors 68020

In iOS 6, you can set email notifications to appear on the lock screen without any preview - only the sender's name shows. That's exactly what I need, because there are times when I don't want anyone who's looking over my shoulder (or finds my iPhone) to see the message subjects.

But, unless the iPhone is completely turned off, the screen lights up for 15 seconds whenever an email notification appears. As best as I can tell, there's no way to prevent this for when, say, the phone is in my pocket or otherwise out of sight. I get about 50-100 emails a day, so that's potentially a lot of wasted battery power. For those times, I'd prefer to just get a vibration or audible alert.

Anyone else notice this?

2. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

Just curious, why would you want an alert if you had no intention of looking at the message?
    Have you treid "Do Not Disturb"? Then you can allow through Favourites and only check your sms messages manually when you feel like it

3. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

If there are select people you want to be alerted about add them to VIP list and change the alerts to VIP only

4. Roller thread starter macrumors 68020

I want to know that there are messages waiting, but I often can't or don't want to look at them until, say, a few minutes later. That's why I like to just get vibration alerts - they're much more discreet than alerts that activate the screen, especially when the phone is in my shirt pocket. DND definitely works for overnight.

----------

Yeah, I've thought of that, but I'd still prefer an option that would let alerts appear on the home screen only when I activate the iPhone.