Lock Screen Notifications Settings

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by aslam89, Sep 24, 2014.

1. aslam89 macrumors member

Some questions regarding lock screen notifications.

When I receive 5 messages (Whatsapp or Line) from the same person, it will appear as five entries in my lock screen notification. Becos if the person sends me many messages it will appear many times in a scrollable manner. This can be a bit annoying especially if there many messages.

Is there a way to display in the following form:
    Person A sends 5 messages > Display as 1 entry on lock screen notification
    Person B sends 2 messages > Display as 1 entry on lock screen notification

Thus a total of 2 notification entries on my lock screen.

This problem doesn't seem to occur in the ordinary pull-down menu. The five messages displays as 1 entry.

I tried going into Settings > Notification Settings > WhatsApp/Line > Show in Notification Centre: 1

I think this only affects the notification centre but not for the Lock Screen

2. Peter Franks macrumors 68000

None of the lock screen notifications are doing what they're supposed to be doing.

They say
    So, if you get a Message notification and your iPhone is locked, you can swipe on the notification, tap reply, and instantly be given a text entry field and keyboard, as well as a microphone button if you prefer to talk rather than type. Same if you see a Message notification in Notification Center.

The above statement is false. When locked you can go to app but when locked that doesn't work.

3. IndianBird macrumors 6502a

I can reply from my lock screen. Do you have message preview turned off? If you do, then your only option is to open it in the messages app.

4. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I actually have this same question for the OP. I believe when previews are turned off it shows individual notifications but when previews are enabled then it will stack multiple messages from the same person.

5. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

What you're describing is actually a Jailbreak app called Lockinfo. This was one of the reason I used it when I was jailbroken on 7.1.2. Sadly Apple hasn't gotten around to doing this and probably introduce it as a new "feature" in iOS9 knowing them.

6. 0000757 macrumors 68040

I have Touch ID enabled on my 6, and when I get a text message I can still swipe to reply without unlocking my phone.

Do you have message preview on (they have to be on for it to work), or did you accidentally turn off quick reply in the passcode settings?

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Based on some other posts/threads where this came up from some people, it seems like it's some weird glitch with their install and/or phone somehow as this isn't the experience for most.

8. Peter Franks macrumors 68000

Message preview on. Yes, Always was. The only time it's ever worked for me is when I'm actually in messages replying to someone else's text and then that works. Lock screen no. Absolutely never. All it does is go straight to app after it asks for code or thumb print obviously. Doesn't work from home screen either.

C DM do you know if it's mainly 5S?

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Are you swiping left on the notification on the lock screen to reveal the new options and selecting the reply option (as opposed to swiping right which will take you to the actual app associated with the notification)?

10. Peter Franks macrumors 68000

Yes. Tried both. I know how it should be because I've seen 5S vids on YouTube demonstrating what it's supposed to do and mine definitely doesn't do it. It's the only thing I found useful on iOS 8 so it's a shame. Only if I'm in texts and a different person texts me does it work. Would like for it to work on lock screen. All it does is bring up the passcode screen or it won't take me to app either but that's all it will do, only take me to the actual app

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

So what happens when you swipe left on a lockscreen notification? It shouldn't bring up a passcode screen or anything like that because that only happens if you swipe right.

12. aslam89, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

aslam89 thread starter macrumors member

Oh it might be that. I'm currently having message previews turned off for Whatsapp and Line. I will turn it on and see if it works.

Thanks for the advice.

EDIT: It doesn't work on Whatsapp. It still has multiple lock screen notifications from each message. iMessage works fine though. The person's name just appears once on lock screen regardless of how many messages he/she sent.

13. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Ah, it worked for iMessage so I assumed it applied to all notifications. My bad.

14. Peter Franks, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

Peter Franks macrumors 68000

A small 'x', as shown in pics. All this offers is to delete the notification.

I should get the 'x' with a 'reply', but I don't.

2 examples, 1 after the swipe in notifications, which doesn't drag down to reply either

[​IMG]

Another example of how it 'doesn't' work, from home screen, swiping and pulling down
    [​IMG]

Don't know if this will be fixed in update, because I seem to be in the minority and they're probably not aware

15. GreyOS macrumors 68040

GreyOS

16. Peter Franks macrumors 68000

Just wanted to check I wasn't going mad. Thanks

17. falkedup macrumors regular

Settings>Touch ID & Passcode>Reply with message>on

18. Peter Franks macrumors 68000

Ah. Could that be it. Wouldn't account for it not working when in home screen as second pic shows though? Or other apps

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

Don't think that setting is related to that unless they expanded its meaning.

20. GreyOS macrumors 68040

GreyOS

I thought that was the option to reply with a message when someone calls you

21. Peter Franks, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

Peter Franks macrumors 68000

it's a problem not only related to lock screen though, but as it turns out that was set to off, so if it cures that part of it, then thanks falkedup, I'd not set it to off, so it must be set like that as standard, and therefore a lot of others would have the problem?

Twitter has same thing on my screen, just the x, no reply option and it said, 'swipe to view', and you can't.

Looking at 8.0.2 it would appear from the list of fixes that 97% of problems mentioned on these forums haven't been addressed.

22. falkedup macrumors regular

Edit: no problem. Didn't see that you responded.

Option off ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411757801.248693.jpg
    Option on ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411757817.084043.jpg

23. Peter Franks macrumors 68000

Yes. Good find! It's still intermittent within apps for some reason.

You know that it also shows you that you can retweet on Twitter or such like. All I get is reply, and not retweet. And when you click reply it just takes you into the Twitter app. But it should let you respond or retweet from outside the app? Or so they have you believe?[​IMG]