Lock screen with background apps still running?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ddoonie, Jul 2, 2008.

1. ddoonie macrumors regular

First off, i have done research for quite a while on this subject, but havent found anything to solve my issues.

I would like some way to lock my screen, so that all of my apps continue working in the background, much like the screen saver works. The problem with the screensaver (with password) is that it uses my administrator password. I would like to be able to use a different password for this screen lock, (ie a friend needs to use the computer when i'm at work, but rather then them have all my privledges etc..).

I know i could have another user setup, but that doesn't solve my issue, as i would have to use 'fast user switching', which disallows some programs (internet).

I found one app, utility lock, works precisely how i want it too, BUT it wont allow my screen to sleep. I think the developer has abandoned this project as well. (i've tried sleeping the monitor then activating utility lock (timed), but it wakes the monitor up).

So to summarize, a screen lock that can have its own password, that allows all background apps to run.

Hopefully someone has some suggestions.

Thanks for reading!

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Fast user switching allows background apps access to internet. Just tested it 10.4.11. Should be the same with 10.5.

3. ddoonie thread starter macrumors regular

Consultant, thanks for taking the time to respond.

I just gave fast user switching a shot, but it did turn my airport off. I'm testing these scenarios with SecuritySpy. I am going to use it as a low level 'security cam' in my new apt. Basically it keeps isight on, and activates recording when it senses motion, uploads the screen captures and video to my ftp, and emails it to me. When i go to the log in screen (fast switching), it deactivates the camera and internet, so no recording nor emailing..

It works fine with the screen saver, but alas dont want to give out my password if need be...

ps... should add my specs.

MBP 2.4 ghz, 10.5.4.

4. laprej macrumors regular

Open Keychain Access, go into Preferences, and then select Show Status in Menu Bar. This will put a lock on your menu bar which will allow you to lock your screen.

5. ddoonie thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that. I attempted it earlier, but i would still have to provide my administator password to unlock...

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Change your Keychain Access password.

Attached Files:

7. ddoonie thread starter macrumors regular

DAMN YOU!! You got me all excited :) Unfortunately, it doesnt affect the screen password at all. It only changes my keychain password to view my other passwords... It was a close one though!

8. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

Check into DeskShade. It's a 15 day demo, and it has a nice lock utility on it.

9. ddoonie thread starter macrumors regular

PERFECT! Solved everything i wanted it to. Thank you very much for the suggestion!

10. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

Fantastic. Always glad to lend a helping hand. I knew those endless computer lab shifts I spend browsing apps would pay off.