Lock/Sleep new macbook pro (via keyboard)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CaliKW, Nov 19, 2016.

1. CaliKW macrumors member

The standard control-shift-power does not work, anyone know a keyboard shortcut to sleep the mac?

Also, any idea why they dont allow touchID to login after a power off/on?

Also, they need to integrate touchID into WAY more places where macOS is asking for password (i.e software install, unlock control panel etc.)

2. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I just added a hot corner to do the same thing. Thanks to the new(er) trackpad gestures for Exposé, I don't use the corners to do anything Exposé-related anymore.

Maybe the same reasons the iPhone requires a password after powering on...?

I think it's either already integrated or on the way soon.

3. post/ergo macrumors member

I don't know about putting the machine to sleep, but for locking, I don't use a keyboard shortcut, more of a mouse shortcut.

You can enable a hot corner to start the screen saver and set the security setting to Require password to log back from screen saver.

Also in the Keychain preferences you can also enable "Show Keychain status in menu bar" a padlock icon then appears in the menu bar and you can lock the screen with that.

As far as not allowing TouchID on first boot, it's the same on the iOS, always need to enter the passcode after turning the device back on. I expect we'll see greater integration in upcoming releases of MacOS, may be round the corner or may have to wait until macOS 10.13.

4. gr2020 macrumors member

You can also add lock and sleep buttons to the touch bar (from Settings / Keyboard).

5. viljamip macrumors regular

I have Alfred installed. All I have to do is option + space and type "lock".

Requiring password after boot is just how it is made and it will not change in the future. It is what makes it safe. It basically stores your password in the secure enclave on the T1 chip where it cannot be extracted, not even by Apple. When you power off, the secure enclave gets flushed and your password is gone. For 3rd party apps this might not be the case, at least on iOS. I think it is justified by the fact that you need to unlock the device with your password before you can access the secure enclave. Whats cool about this system is the fact that no one can capture your finger print data, no matter how deep into the OS they have got themselves into.

6. CaliKW thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the hot corner trick - using that now - even faster than keyboard shortcut (if my hand is on mouse!)