Lock your phone with password only when you want

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by BGTHEMOGUL, Oct 18, 2011.

1. BGTHEMOGUL macrumors 6502

Is there a way to lock your phone only when you want to? I understand you can press the button on the top but I'm referring to enable the password protect only when you want to rather than after "x" amount of time?

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

3. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

go to setting, general, auto lock and set it to never.

4. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

All that does it make the screen never turn off which would drain the battery very quickly. I have that set to 1 minute so it turns off quickly however I want to be able to enable the password protect whenever I want instead of after 1 minute, 5 minutes, 15 minutes, etc.

5. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

I still don't understand exactly what you want. So, set it to never will enable you to lock it whenever you hit the power button.

6. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't want to have to hit the power button every single time I want the screen to dim, etc. I want it to do that automatically, hence the reason the auto-lock is set to 1 minute. What I'm saying is the actual password protection is what I'd like to be able to enable whenever I choose.

7. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Then you can turn off the password protection by going to Setting, General, Passcode Lock and turn it off.

8. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

You obviously aren't following me here. :D

9. thatdrewguy macrumors regular

Who's on First? :)

OP wants to use the password lock but only based on his desire to lock the phone and not based on a timer setting.

10. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

Correct. Is this possible through the phone directly or an application or is it strictly on a timer setting?

11. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

Is it because you don't want to type in the password everytime you wake up the phone/screen to use it? Also you want the password protection if you lost the phone?

12. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes.

13. jjlannoo, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

jjlannoo Suspended

You can set a passcode and remote lock using the findmyiPhone/iCloud feature. Set your iPhone up for that and if you lose it or think you lost it. Remote lock it till you find it. :) I think this is your best solution.

14. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah could always do that. Thanks for the tip.

15. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

You can set your passcode to 4 hours, most likely it will not lock during day time active hours, and it will lock when you go to sleep and no activity on the phone. That how I set my phone.

16. ToddyT macrumors newbie

Closest thing is:

General>Settings>Passcode Lock>Require passcode after ***

I have mine set to one minute. Meaning if I lock my phone and remember within 1 minute that there was something else I wanted to do, I wouldn't be asked for my passcode again.

The most you can make this is 4 hours, which was mentioned just recently. Hopefully this satisfies.

17. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

I set mine to four hours which is not the best protection, I just try to get the balance of convenience and some protection.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, there's no such option that you're asking for.
    You will have to go into settings and enable/disable passcode whenever you want.
    There's no other faster way of doing it.

19. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I have mine set for one minute. It's a bit of a pain in the ass...

Until it got stolen, a guy literally walked up behind me, when I was with two others at Starbucks, grabbed it off the table & ran. Gone in a flash I was so glad it was locked. Fortunately I had my laptop so I wiped it.

I can tell you this, it all happens so fast there's no time to react because ones first reaction is surprise and disbelief. Especially when you don't see it coming.

The phones easily replaceable so all I cared about was protecting my data.

It all worked out just fine, since by sheer luck he ran out and half a block later was nabbed by a police officer that patrols via bike. What luck. And yes, he's in jail, but he tossed the phone so MobileMe was worthwhile.

20. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

If you wipe it you lose everything that was on the phone though, correct? Well everything you don't have being backed up by iCloud I would assume.

The only things I would really care about are my contacts and my photos and videos. I know I have my contacts on iCloud but can I have my photos and videos there as well in case I ever needed to wipe the device?