locked folder?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Petenick3, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Petenick3 macrumors newbie

hey,
    ive had a look on the site and did a search but couldnt find any answer; i would like to lock a folder-so have a password on it each time you try to open it, like you can do in windows, is there any software i need? oh and i dont want to use firevault,
    thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The easiest and safest solution is probably to create a sparse encrypted disk image in Disk Utility. It'll require a password to mount. :)

3. Petenick3 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks or the reply, could you give me a quick step by step guide of how to do this as im not an expert on the mac yet, but getting better!!:rolleyes:
    Pete

4. baummer macrumors 6502a

1. Launch Disk Utility

2. Click the New Image button (3rd from the right)

3. Pick a name for it and choose the location to save it (it defaults to Documents)

4. Give it a volume name that will appear when it mounts

5. Select a volume size

6. Select the format (default is fine)

7. Change encryption to 128 or if you're really in need of it to be secure, go with the 256 option

8. Change the disk image type to read/write

9. CLick OK, it will prompt you to create a password. Uncheck keychain access.

10. Mount the disk image. It will prompt you to enter the password you just created, enter it, click OK. Then you can drag files into it. When you're done, eject the disk image.

5. Petenick3 thread starter macrumors newbie