locked folders

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spacka, May 17, 2008.

1. spacka macrumors member

i only recently got my mac and i have an external HD. i used it with windows prior to getting my mac as it has all my music and other stuff on it.

anyway, for some reason a few of the folders inside the HD have a padlock on them, and when i check their properties theyre classed as "locked".

i dont know much except that i cannot modify or create anything and its starting to limit my access and i cant do what i need to.

anybody know how to fix this? im on the latest mac osx if that helps.

2. spacka thread starter macrumors member

or would i be better hitting this up in the OSX forum?

3. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Can you still copy that locked folder to the mac? If yes, try chancing the locked state to "unlocked" and tweak other permissions if needed.

[​IMG]

4. spacka thread starter macrumors member

when i try to do the above via the HD it prompts me for a username/password. nothing works.

i havent tried copying to my mac desktop, but in all honesty, its got all of my music which is a LOT of gigabytes that i dont feel like transferring and transferring back. i might do that as a last resort though. and at the moment it probably looks like it.

5. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Ah You NEED to transfer the files to the Mac side to be able to adjust / change any permissions. Thats the whole idea. If its NTFS partition, its READ only. OS X isnt ment to use NTFS. So the logical step is to first copy those files to the Mac hard drive, eg. desktop for later sorting.

You are best off to copy all the important files to the Mac, then erase the whole external partition and make a new partition which is OS X native partition type. Then you can copy the files back to the drive or deside to use it as timemachine drive or someting :cool:

6. spacka thread starter macrumors member

my music folder is well over 60gb and my videos are well over 90gb. this is gonna suck.

7. spacka thread starter macrumors member

bump.

ive copied everything to my mac desktop and deleted from the external HD. however, the two locked folder (my music and my pictyres) will not delete.

i assume this is where i erase the partition? if so, how do i do this?

thanks.

8. spacka thread starter macrumors member