locked hard drives

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Macintosh Sauce, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Macintosh Sauce macrumors 6502

Macintosh Sauce

I hope someone can help me here...

I had to reinstall Mac OS X 10.5 on my 1st HD in my Mac Pro. My Backup (2nd HD) can be accessed to get my files from my previous installation.

The problem is my Data (Mac) - 3rd HD and my Data (Personal) - 4th HD are both now locked and it says this when I try to open them.

"The folder 'Data (Mac)' (or 'Data (Personal)' could not be opened because you do not have sufficient access privileges."

Huh? I am the admin user on this Mac Pro. My data is still on both HDs, but I have to figure out how to unlock them and time is critical because of some university assignments I have to do.

Thanks in advance!

2. Macintosh Sauce thread starter macrumors 6502

Macintosh Sauce

3. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

Try repairing permissions by using Disk utility. See if that helps.

4. Macintosh Sauce thread starter macrumors 6502

Macintosh Sauce

It did not help because the disks were locked. Yes, I said were. :)

Thank God for programs like Dr. Marcel Bresink's TinkerTool System software for only a little amount of around $13. He suggested two things for me to do to get my data back and they worked.

I was able to unlock the drives and reset the permissions. Woohoo! I have all my data back. :)

Thanks for the reply! I have been up all night trying to figure this out. Now I am going to sleep for a few hours. LOL

5. The General macrumors 601

$13 to change permissions as root? Seems like a ripoff when all the tools are on your system to begin with. :rolleyes:

6. Macintosh Sauce thread starter macrumors 6502

Macintosh Sauce

If I knew how to use the Terminal, then I could have done it that way. Besides, $13 is a mere price to pay to retrieve data that is critical to me.

7. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

it's the same with the dessert and the glass of water... ;)

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

For the next person that runs into this problem, here's something they can try. For this to work, you must be logged in as an a user that's listed as an Administrator.

1. Right click on the drive or folder in question, and select "Get Info."
    (or, left click once to highlight the drive or folder, and hit :apple:-I)

2. In the info window that pops up, click on the arrow by "Sharing & Permissions" at the bottom. You should see something like this:

[​IMG]

3. Click on the Padlock Icon, and then enter your password when prompted.

Now you can either change the "everyone" setting so that all users can read and write (or just read) the files there, or, you can click on the "+" sign to add yourself or others as an authorized user for this item.

Or, if it's a non-boot hard drive, you can just check the "Ignore ownership on this volume" box, and then everyone has free reign of what's on the drive.

9. kurtkurt, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011

kurtkurt macrumors newbie

Done all this:( Does not help:confused: Any other suggestions please?
    PS. This is on one of the drives on a G4 DP 1.25mHz OS 10.5.8