Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elit3nemesis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
I have a friend who wants a iPod really bad and is willing to trade his 64gb iPad for my 32gb iPod touch so that he can have it in his car. The situation I run into is that he said his iPad is locked. If I get it is there a way I can unlock it?:confused:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Did he buy it in Japan? As far as I know, that's the only place where iPad is sold locked. If he bought it anywhere else, then it's not locked.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I have a friend who wants a iPod really bad and is willing to trade his 64gb iPad for my 32gb iPod touch so that he can have it in his car. The situation I run into is that he said his iPad is locked. If I get it is there a way I can unlock it?:confused:

Your friend has an iPad that's "locked" and he can't unlock it? Maybe he can ask the person he stole it from for the password. This is a pretty hinky story (above and beyond the "I'll trade my far more valuable iPad for your iPod" angle).

Find better friends.

elit3nemesis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
He bought the iPad and hasn't used it in months and doesn't have the same laptop he first synced to it. Can I take him down to an Apple store so that can Apple can unlock it????

lilkangster

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2011
Define "locked" because if you are talking about it being password protected and you simply do not know the password then its easy to restore the ipad yourself without having to sync with the computer it last synced with. But if you are talking about it being a 3G ipad being locked to a carrier then its a completely different thing. If its just a password thing then simply put ipad in DFU mode (I'm not going to go into details on how to do this just google it) and restore it. Of course you will lose all data on the ipad.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Apple will be able to help you, just bring proof of purchase (receipt) or maybe the box with the serial number that matches that of the iPad and they should be able to restore it for you.

You can actually do this at home too but not going to go into that.

elit3nemesis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Define "locked" because if you are talking about it being password protected and you simply do not know the password then its easy to restore the ipad yourself without having to sync with the computer it last synced with. But if you are talking about it being a 3G ipad being locked to a carrier then its a completely different thing. If its just a password thing then simply put ipad in DFU mode (I'm not going to go into details on how to do this just google it) and restore it. Of course you will lose all data on the ipad.

It is actually password locked and we don't know how to unlock it. We were thinking about going down to an apple store to fix it but wasn't sure if that would work or not.

lilkangster

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2011
It is actually password locked and we don't know how to unlock it. We were thinking about going down to an apple store to fix it but wasn't sure if that would work or not.

If thats the case then its easy to restore no need to go to apple for this. Simply put it in DFU mode and restore the ipad and it will be restored with the newest ios version (even if you take it to the apple store they are going to do the same thing so might as well save the trip), but like I said before all data on the ipad will be lost. Though this shouldn't be a problem for you since you are getting it from a friend anyways and he probably wouldn't want you to have all his info.

To put device in DFU mode follow the following instructions:

- Plug the iPad into your computer
- Launch iTunes
- Hold down the Power button and the Home button at the same time
- Keep holding both of these buttons for 10 seconds (timing is kind of crucial so you might just want to look at a clock for the 10 seconds during this time your ipad will probably reset itself around the 7 second mark DO NOT release when ipad resets wait until 10 second mark to release power button)
- After 10 seconds pass, release the Power button but continue to hold the Home button for another 3-5 seconds
- When in DFU mode, your iPad screen will stay completely black. If you see an Apple logo or anything else you did not enter DFU mode do the steps above again.
- Once in DFU mode iTunes will notify you that it has detected a device in recovery mode
- Follow the instructions in iTunes and restore your device

Let me know if you run into any problems with this for I have done this a billion times for jailbreaking various devices.

toiday

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2011
I think the only way is bring it to Apple store with proof of owner and ask them to unlock it.

I still don't see why someone would willing to trade and iPad for and iPod. You can mount iPad in the car too....

elit3nemesis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
I think the only way is bring it to Apple store with proof of owner and ask them to unlock it.

I still don't see why someone would willing to trade and iPad for and iPod. You can mount iPad in the car too....

I thought he was joking but I asked him if he was sure he said yes. So I couldn't pass up on the offer. He said he hasn't used it in forever. He rather have a iPod in his car for music rather than a huge iPad.

----------

If thats the case then its easy to restore no need to go to apple for this. Simply put it in DFU mode and restore the ipad and it will be restored with the newest ios version (even if you take it to the apple store they are going to do the same thing so might as well save the trip), but like I said before all data on the ipad will be lost. Though this shouldn't be a problem for you since you are getting it from a friend anyways and he probably wouldn't want you to have all his info.

- Launch iTunes
- Keep holding both of these buttons for 10 seconds (timing is kind of crucial so you might just want to look at a clock for the 10 seconds during this time your ipad will probably reset itself around the 7 second mark DO NOT release when ipad resets wait until 10 second mark to release power button)
- After 10 seconds pass, release the Power button but continue to hold the Home button for another 3-5 seconds
- When in DFU mode, your iPad screen will stay completely black. If you see an Apple logo or anything else you did not enter DFU mode do the steps above again.
- Once in DFU mode iTunes will notify you that it has detected a device in recovery mode

Let me know if you run into any problems with this for I have done this a billion times for jailbreaking various devices.

Thanks a lot I will try this out.

elit3nemesis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009

- Launch iTunes

Thank you very much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.