Locked iPhone - Best Solution for Jaibrekability

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by leons, Dec 18, 2011.

1. leons macrumors 6502

I inherited an Iphone 4 from my cousin She bought it on Day 1, then decided she didn't like it and bought an Android. It's been on her shelf for a month or more, and she just gave it to me today. It has a password lock. We just spent an hour trying all the pass codes that she 'thought' she might have used with no success. Here are my questions:

1. I'm assuming there's no way to bypass the passcode.

2. I don't mind wiping everything out, but would prefer not to update the fimware, as I assume that whatever early version that is on it has an untethered jailbreak available. Is there any way to wipe out everything without updating the firmware?

3. If not, than I assume my best approach is to restore/update it now, save the shsh blobs from the latest firmware, and wait for an untethered Jailbrek.

Any better ideas? Again, jailbreaking it is my goal.

Thanks,

Leon

2. TC25 macrumors 68020

If she bought an iPhone4 on Day 1 of its availability, it's been sitting on her shelf for a lot longer than a month.

Exactly what phone does she have, a 4 or a 4s, and when did she buy it?

3. leons thread starter macrumors 6502

It's definitely a 4. She used it for a while, then put it on the shelf for the last month or two after she decided she didn't like it. :rolleyes:

4. labman, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011

labman macrumors 604

labman

Google can help you! :rolleyes:

5. leons thread starter macrumors 6502

Everything I see on google says to restore as new. But won't that update the firmware ton the newest version (which I want to avoid because of tethered only jailbreak)?

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

7. leons thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Ok. I assumed that to be true. Was just trying to see if anyone had any other option that I hadn't thought of.

8. kissnoob macrumors member

why don't u use the ifaith to save the current shsh blob on it? Of course, u don't know what firmware it is on, but ifaith will save whatever blob on it. if u are lucky, it is still on 4.3.3. then, just use that blob to build custom firmware and restore to 4.3.3.

9. leons thread starter macrumors 6502

This sounds like a good idea, but will it work? Is Apple still signing 4.3.3? If not, I can still do this?

10. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

you wont need apple. download Tiny Umbrella. and itunes will look to that program to trick it into signing it. read up on shsh blobs and TU.

11. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Also whatever you do make sure to preserve your baseband. You may have an unlockable iPhone in your possession, which raises the value.

12. sbddude macrumors 6502a

tiny umbrella will tell you what version of iOS and baseband is currently on the phone.

Once you know that, you can use iFaith to get the blob from the phone and generate a pre-signed IPSW which you can shift+restore in itunes.

Depending on baseband version, you may need to use a gevey SIM to unlock for use on other carriers.

Whatever you do, don't update in itunes.

13. kre62 macrumors 68000

Why dont you contact the real owner and ask them for the code, capone?

14. trajen macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hahaha!