Locked iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Originalbash, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Originalbash macrumors newbie

I recently bought a secondhand iPhone 5S (32GB) from gumtree, which I now know was a terrible idea. The iPhone was mentioned to be locked onto the Japanese network company "Softbank", to which I didn't really see as being an issue, as I naively thought you could unlock any phone at any phone unlocking shop. Oh, how I was wrong… turns out none of the unlocking shops could unlock it because they had no idea what network "Softbank" was, so they all pretty much turned me away. I then turned to the internet for my solution, and stumbled across a website called "officialiphoneunlock.co.uk". Long story short, I ended up paying over 110 pounds to unlock it, then found out the website was a complete scam. Basically I now have a dud iPhone 5S that I can't seem to do anything with, which is such a shame. So, I guess this is my last attempt at some sort of resolution. I thought I'd ask you guys if there is anything whatsoever I can do to unlock my iPhone , or am I completely screwed?

Any sort of comment or answer is appreciated, Cheers

P.S. The phone is currently on the "set up" stage, cannot get past the activation part.

2. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I was under the impression that Softbank iPhones are bascially impossible to unlock. Softbank refuses to unlock them even after your contract expires.

Apple definitely won't help in a situation like this.

I don't think any of the unlock services would be able to get it done either.

You could try to contact Softbank and explain your situation, but i doubt they care.

Have you any recourse through your credit card? You have to give it a try, especially for the unlock scam. Too many of those around these days.

I don't mean to throw salt in the would, but next time, research first, double and triple check, and then buy.

3. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Not what you asked but put it back up online for sale. Maybe recoup some of your investment? I know some people on this site support "chronic unlocks" but I have NO experience with them so buyer beware.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

SoftBank is the Sprint of Japan when it comes to unlocking.OP there's no way. You have an iPod Touch now.

5. Originalbash thread starter macrumors newbie

Chronic Unlocks

Well this whole situation is lame, can anyone point me in the direction to these chronic unlockers?

P.S I cant even use it as an iPod touch because it hasn't been set up.

6. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Move to japan, and activate iPhone on softbank and use. In other news, you're screwed.

7. Originalbash thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay I get the picture but I'm still in denial and scrabbling for possible outcomes. Chatter mentioned something about chronic unlocks which is what I was getting at.

8. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Well like aforementioned SoftBank is the Sprint of Japan. They will not (legally, at least) allow an unlock. Best case scenario, you post it up for sale on eBay and get what you paid for it out of it. Then start with a new slate and get one that is local to this county.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Take it as a lesson learned.
    Next time you should do your research first, not buy it first and then ask questions later.
    You spend money on a useless device.
    Unless you want to use it in japan.

10. Originalbash thread starter macrumors newbie

Would an R SIM work? I don't really care if it would be temporary until an update or whatever.

11. Chatter macrumors 6502a

So these guys claim to unlock Softbank within 30 days.
    https://chronicunlocks.com/

Again, I want to be clear that I have NEVER used them so I do not know how good they are. The reason I mention these guys is that some people on this website swear by them. Please dont blame me!
    Good luck.

12. ifanme macrumors regular

ifanme

IMEI Unlock sites

In this thread there is also a guy who had successfully unlocked his Japan Docomo carrier by using theofficialunlocks services so you can also ask them whether they are offering this service or not.
    I ve 'd unlocked plenty of phones using their services but none of them locked to Japanese carrier.

13. manishans macrumors member

I heard RSIM do work for softbank locked iphones.

Do some checking and buy the correct version/model of the rsim.

14. Hibs macrumors newbie

Docomo Unlock

Hi I recently had my iphone 6 plus unlocked from docomo, I assure you docomo is more difficult to unlock than softbank.

The person I used is Riz from http://theofficialunlocks.com/ and he's been mentioned a few times on this forum. Really good guy and gets the job done. It's really hard to find legit people that can do this unlock, but i assure you he got mine done. PM me if you want more details. I'd check out his website if you still need the unlock.