Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MLeepson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
USA
I was at the Apple store yesterday and at the iPhone table all the iPhone were locked/unactivated. Does anyone know why?

MLeepson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
USA
Ya. They were all displayed and what not. One was even connected to an iMac. But none of them were activated. It was pretty odd.

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Apple Store

Ya. They were all displayed and what not. One was even connected to an iMac. But none of them were activated. It was pretty odd.

OI was in there this AM, did not check the phones, but did see computers being updated. Guys with a external drive and working on them one by one.

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
So what are the iphones usually like? They must be activated, but not make calls/texts?

Does apple have a secret way of bypassing activation without hacking the iphone? wouldn't put it past them.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I guess recent Apple thefts are making them tether the iPhones (very valuable and very easy to swipe)

rxmxsh

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
Irvine, Ca
The apple guy I spoke to at the store said they all have locked sims, so they can't make or receive phone calls, for obvious reasons. Everything that doesn't rely on AT&T does work on the demo phones though...

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
at first they didn't have locked sim cards cause people were calling people, but i think apple got the hint that people were making free calls so they locked them up.

mongoose8p

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
Chicago
at first they didn't have locked sim cards cause people were calling people, but i think apple got the hint that people were making free calls so they locked them up.

yes that and I know in the Chicago store people stole the sim cards all the time from the activated ones to use in their phones for free calls this is not a joke! even talked to apple rep bout it

EmptyG

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2007
How weird, I noticed that the other day as well. The Apple Store by me (UTC San Diego) had about 9 iPhones out, but only 3 were set up to use. The rest just had a warning about not being activated. I asked the Apple genius by me and he said "that's really odd".

Though all the iPod nanos were working just fine :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.