Locked Mac Folders

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by emstuart, Jun 30, 2012.

1. emstuart macrumors newbie

Hi,
    So, I'm completely freaked out.

I was reading through the forums on how to lock folders on your Mac, so they're password protected. I followed these instructions, now my folder has a red minus sign on it and when I try to click on it it tells me I don't have permission to see it's contents. Apparently this means I can't even "Get Info" on the folder, or select it in any way. I've tried goign about it via Terminal, but I'm not that clued up vis-a-vis computing and it keeps telling me the folder doesn't exist! I don't know what to do, but I desperately want my files back.

Please help me out- I'll try anything!

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

And those instructions were...

We can read them if you post them, but cannot read your mind.

3. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Heh... hope you didn't set your folder permissions to "000"... otherwise you're in for quite a treat.

If you're not familiar with UNIX commands and file permissions, you might want to consult with someone who is.

What may end up happening is that you may have to use another Mac, connected to your Mac started in "target disk mode", to override these permissions. You might have to use the "Ignore Disk Permissions on this Disk" during this process. It ain't gonna be easy.