Locked myself out of new MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fergusdo, Sep 19, 2014.

1. fergusdo macrumors newbie

Hi can anyone offer a solution to a newbe on Mac's who is really struggling with a whole different paradigm to the ones I'm used to. I've locked myself out of my Mavericks MPB when playing around to become familiar with it. So I can't get passed the login screen, have tried the recover path but hadn't burned a recovery disk and can't find anywhere any information, including a completed install of OS.

Can anyone offer any suggestions.

2. itegypt, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Reinstalling osx would fix it, but this will delete any data.

Reboot while holding alt key.
    Hit recovery button
    Use disk utility to clear drive
    Reinstall osx

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

So when you say you can't get past the login screen, is it just rejecting your password?

Or you enter your password and it locks up after accepting it?

5. StockDC2 macrumors regular

Sounds fishy... How do you "forget" your password.

6. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

I keep forgetting the password for this forum account, mainly because I don't consider our that important and don't sound fishy to me (always give the benefit of the doubt) that being said it's pretty weird that you forget your computer password maybe he was excited.

7. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Maybe try reading? The OPs post says nothing about forgetting a password.

8. StockDC2 macrumors regular

Not sure how one gets so excited that they forget the password to something that they probably use for majority of their day, especially when you're given multiple chances to input the correct password.

9. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

Oh I'm sorry can you explain in what other situation you cant access /login in your computer? :confused:

----------

I'm just saying it happens :p not that it's common; of course the most obvious answer is that he "found" it.

10. Anitramane macrumors 6502

11. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Turn your computer on while holding R. When you get to the main OS X utilities screen, click Utilities on the menu bar.

Click Terminal. Type resetpassword. Press Enter.

Click your user account. Create a new password. Boom, you're all set!

12. fergusdo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks All

Hi all thanks for your interest and assistance. I'm working again although none of the suggestions worked that of itegypt put me on the right track and I found a script which put me back to square 1 with the machine set up wizard on boot up. As there was nothing in the m/c and I had nothing to lose this was fine. I just loved being in command line mode, brought me right back to when I started on OS/370 and its JCL, so I learned a lot about the structure of the MBP. Once again thanks a lot :eek:

13. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Take my suggestion and read the post. There are tons of ways you can be locked out of a computer.

OP since you love the command line so much, try fixing your issue in Single User Mode.

http://www.technobol.com/how-to-reset-mac-os-x-password-10-410-510-610-7-lion10-8-mountain-lion/

14. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

Since it's a new laptop take it into Apple they'll help you get back in for free.

15. gochi macrumors 6502

what you could also do is boot from external usb drive and try to clone over important files

16. StockDC2 macrumors regular

17. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs