iPhone XS Locked or Unlocked

i might imac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
NYS
I have iPhone 6 right now which I'll be upgrading to either the XS or XR(haven't decided yet) for Christmas.

I will be paying the full price as I don't like monthly payments on anything.

I've been using ATT for many years and will not be going to any other carrier as they are the only ones with service in my area and I happen to like their service.

Anyway with all that said what would the benefit be to get an unlocked phone, if any.

And if I do get an unlocked phone does this mean I need to get another SIM card, this new phone won't be coming with a SIM card and the SIM card in my current phone is a bit long in the tooth.

kevink2

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
I think the only benefit you get with buying the SIM-Free model from Apple direct is you can skip the "upgrade/activation" fee if you move the SIM yourself.

Otherwise, you buy the phone from ATT, in 40 or so days you can unlock it in case you want to sell it in the future or make a trip to another country and want to use a SIM from there.

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
The advantage to unlocked would be that you should be able to swap in any SIM from any carrier. Even if you're not planning to switch carriers, this way you won't be locked into anything. It also makes it possible to use local SIM cards while travelling. To some small degree at least, it will also enhance the resale value if that's something you care about.

You shouldn't need a new SIM. I've been using the same one since my iPhone 5s. If it works, it works.

i might imac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
NYS
Thanks for the replies.
I should add that I do travel to other countries and have had to use the ATT international travel which was expensive.
I don't travel but once per year at best.

I did not know I could have it unlocked after 40 days, thanks for that info.
[doublepost=1541352203][/doublepost]I also notice just now on apple website that you can not buy the Xr unlocked, at least there's no option for it listed like it is with the Xs.
Can you still unlock the Xr after 40 days.

i might imac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
NYS
So what else do I need to do in order to reuse the same sim in the new phone, do I need to contact ATT for any reason or do I just put it in the phone and go from there.

i might imac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
NYS
WOW, that was fast.
I ordered three iPhones from apple website, (2) XS and (1) XS Max. I ordered them at around 4pm yesterday and they're in my possession right now, the Max is updating as we speak.

And yes, I just dropped the SIM card in and it works.

Thanks all for the advice, X-mas shopping is done.