Locked Out, HELP!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by elskin, Jun 20, 2011.

1. elskin macrumors newbie

Hey, so im wondering if anyone can help me.. heres the story so far

i have MacBook Pro and HAD OS X Lion DP 4 installed,
    i went to install bootcamp and in the process i installed windows 7,
    once that was done and i'd finished playing around doing what i needed to do i restarted my Macbook pro and when i held down the option key to get boot menu i was presented with a lock password.

ive tried all the passwords ive ever used none work, ive reinstalled os x lion DP4 and still boots up with the lock, ive gone back and installed OS X Snow Leopard and STILL has the damn lock.

Anyone have any ideas what so ever?

PS i can boot from firewire via my Mac Pro and everything is fine its just the boot on the MacBook Pro itself

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

I know up to Snow Leopard you can just put in your Install Disc and choose reset password (booting from the disc). Try and research if there is such option for Lion :/

3. elskin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats the thing, there is no password to reset ive reinstalled lion and leopard and its fine running through firewire boot from another machine but by itself its just not having any of it, just managed to boot it and was working apart from the wifi but then it restarted and im back to the start

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

What you're seeing there is the firmware password. To reset it, you need to remove one RAM module, then the very first time you start up the computer after doing so, hold down Command-Option-P-R on the keyboard, until you hear the boot chime sound again (most recommend waiting for at least three total chimes, though it's not supposed to be necessary). You can then reinstall that RAM module.

If the computer is newer than a certain timeframe, that technique won't work (as it allowed you to bypass what was supposed to be a very secure mechanism without much effort). Instead, you'll have to take the computer to an Apple Store or Authorized Service Center and ask them to remove the firmware password for you.

jW