Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Got myself locked out of my iPad. I am a bit annoyed that Apple decided we had to cycle through the whole welcome thing installing iOS 9, but then they messed it up.

First, the prompt you to create a password (umm, ya know, I did already have one). Then I go to the Passcode and it demands that I create a PIN. Wait, I had a password from the install, was that not good enough (not to mention the potential security hole there)?

Meanwhile, my password is ******* but the PIN is (now instead of 4) six digits. So I create the keypad PIN to get into Passcode, muck around in there a bit and leave.

Later, I notice that the magnet on my 3rd-party keyboard cover does not seem to be sleeping the screen, so I go back into Settings, end up in Passcode and mistakenly switch on Lock, thinking that must be why my screen is staying on.

So here I am. I remember two-thirds of my PIN, but I cannot seem to remember the rest. It is my fault, that I have a brick with stuff in it that I would like to get at. Yet, Apple cannot get off scot-free for this weird and confusing carousel ride (it seems as though iPhone and iPad have gotten a bit tangled up here).

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Okay, sorry. I didn't have to enter anything new, kept my iCloud password, you can still keep 4 digit password. So no issues here, hope you get yours resolved soon.

Reactions: RevTEG

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
I messed up, but some of the blame must be Apple's. I got my iPad broken open at the Apple Store, after they burned it to the ground. Very irritated at losing my stuff, though very little of it was irreplaceable. And no, I will continue to be an unclouded luddite, just because I am old and cranky.

What is really frustrating is that the setup screen gives you a whole qwerty to enter a passcode, but it really just wants numbers. Yet, if you put in an alpha passcode, as I did, it accepts it and moves on, but then discards it when you go to the security panel in Settings, demanding that you create a passcode.

You can create an alpha code in the welcome screen, one that will stick, but you have to select it from this tiny blue word (menu button) that I totally missed the first time. Why it cannot figure out that you want an alpha code based on what you type in is just baffling to me. These computery things are supposed to be able to adapt and figure stuff out – that was the whole wonderful thing about Macintosh 31 years ago: teaching computers about people so that people have less to learn about computers. If only Apple had a few of those imaginative people left at the company.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I messed up, but some of the blame must be Apple's. I got my iPad broken open at the Apple Store, after they burned it to the ground. Very irritated at losing my stuff, though very little of it was irreplaceable. And no, I will continue to be an unclouded luddite, just because I am old and cranky.

What is really frustrating is that the setup screen gives you a whole qwerty to enter a passcode, but it really just wants numbers. Yet, if you put in an alpha passcode, as I did, it accepts it and moves on, but then discards it when you go to the security panel in Settings, demanding that you create a passcode.

You can create an alpha code in the welcome screen, one that will stick, but you have to select it from this tiny blue word (menu button) that I totally missed the first time. Why it cannot figure out that you want an alpha code based on what you type in is just baffling to me. These computery things are supposed to be able to adapt and figure stuff out – that was the whole wonderful thing about Macintosh 31 years ago: teaching computers about people so that people have less to learn about computers. If only Apple had a few of those imaginative people left at the company.
Yes, Apple is definitely at fault. Book a ticket to Cupertino and burn them down!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.