Locked out of my Mac by Windows...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Megagator, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Megagator macrumors regular

Megagator

So, I made a big boo boo and put Windows 8 in a boot camp. Worked fine for a while and played some Steam games. Then today I booted into Windows 8 from OS X, but ended up in a Repair loop. I've tried all of their recovery options and all failed. I've no idea if there are any command prompts that would help. Holding option when rebooting doesn't bring up the startup drive option. Can't reset pram, no recovery keystrokes work. Is there anything I can do to get back to OS X?

2. Megagator thread starter macrumors regular

Megagator

Well, in case anyone was interested I ended up pulling the hard drive out of the Mac mini and mounting it externally to a MacBook. Then I wiped out the Bootcamp partition and formatted it to ExFat. I put the drive back in the mini (not too easy) and restarted. It booted into the empty Bootcamp partition and complained about not being a bootable disk. Luckily it prompted me to put a cd in, so I was able to boot from the initial windows 8 install iso. Installed that, installed the Bootcamp drivers (v.4) and was finally able to boot back into OS X. And delete windows. :p