Locked Out Of Osx Cant Boot From Cd To Reinstall

gosicangel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Hi sorry if this is the wrong forum in advance.
Im pretty new to mac and have a dual core 27" imac.

Long story short i made one acc on my mac and forgot the pass for that account.
I can seem to boot from the install disk that came with my imac.

If I hold down the option key i can see to boot osx, windows or the istall disk.
aiaf I select the install disk i just get the white screen, apple logo with the never ending spinning bar.

The exact same happens when i hold down c on reboot. When I hold shift down what appears like an update bar starts loading but goes straight back to installed os on hd.

I can even boot from a windows cd holding down c but cant access that either.

Really at a loss:confused: The data is not vthat important as its just some site backups i have and their content and I can always recover them later.

Many thanks for any input or help in advance:)

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
hi spinnerlys
is that link to the blog post he same as http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/reset_a_lost_m
ac_os_x_password.html
? cant see main post on that link could be ps3 browser
because the mac install cd just hangs when trying anything with it

also thanks TheBritishBloke i may have to try that
Did you set up a normal account password or a Open Firmware Password? If it's a Open Firmware Password that pretty much locks down the Mac unless it can be remembered. This Apple doc explains more about Open Firmware Password:

:apple: Setting up firmware password protection in Mac OS X

and here's a Apple doc for:
:apple: Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

gosicangel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
that sounds exactly like what i did was off me face p and paranoid set up a big huge encrypted pass.

:(
Since I posted that response, I've learned (thanks Hrududu & 666sheep)that apparently if you change the RAM configuration (remove a stick, add a stick, etc.) and then follow it with a triple PRAM reset, it will reset the Open Firmware Password and allow you to access the Mac.

phatqao

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
PA and/or NYC
very simple fix for a forgotten password: boot into single-user mode with Cmd+S at the chime, then enter the following
Code:
/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /
launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist
passwd <your_account_name_here>
reboot

gosicangel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
very simple fix for a forgotten password: boot into single-user mode with Cmd+S at the chime, then enter the following
Code:
/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /
reboot

Just get permissions denied. thanks for your input

Since I posted that response, I've learned (thanks Hrududu & 666sheep)that apparently if you change the RAM configuration (remove a stick, add a stick, etc.) and then follow it with a triple PRAM reset, it will reset the Open Firmware Password and allow you to access the Mac.
Thanks
DewGuy1999 I may give that a try later or in the morning.

Many thanks again to anyone replied

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
you mean your permission to edit the password is denied when you try these steps? if so, sorry - i didn't realize that could happen as root. i guess there's a first time for everything though.
In the case of the OP he's set an Open Firmware password, I think the method you posted only works for user account passwords.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
can't you reset the firmware password by changing the amount of RAM in the machine?

sort of a pointless password protection method these days, since you can change the RAM, reboot the machine, boot into single user, then delete the AppleSetupDone file

All this without ever touching a DVD.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
can't you reset the firmware password by changing the amount of RAM in the machine?

sort of a pointless password protection method these days, since you can change the RAM, reboot the machine, boot into single user, then delete the AppleSetupDone file

Supposedly so. I posted that earlier in the thread.

gosicangel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Code:
/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /
reboot

Your all ********* epic.
Thanks a million got back into me mac.

Took out a stick of ram done a triple pram reset, booted into single user and had root:D

Many Many Many Many Many Many thanks guys:D:D