Locked settings unlocking for no reason

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Schtibbie, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Schtibbie macrumors 6502

You know when you go into System Preferences and in Network or Security you can go set your stuff and then click the lock icon in the lower left. It "clicks" and now shows a locked lock.

Ok, so I go back in after exiting and the lock is still locked as I wanted. Good.

But later, like the next day or later after I've reset the computer for some reason (like a recent Apple software update), my locks are all unlocked! WTF?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In the Security pane again, there's an option Require Password To Unlock Each System Preference. Is this checked? :)

3. Schtibbie thread starter macrumors 6502

No, not checked. But I thought the "click the lock to prevent further changes" icon was supposed to prevent further changes. At that point I should have to enter a password to UNlock that little lock, shouldn't I? But I don't. It just shows up unlocked the next day or whatever.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, you're right. I'm just wondering if applying the blanket setting to all panes might work. If it does, it may tell us more about your problem... :)

5. Schtibbie thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, so now I went and checked this option, and then RE-locked the "lock to prevent further changes" lock button. THAT seems to keep the lock locked even after a computer reset.

But I contend that this is a broken interface. How does it make any sense that I could click the lock, watch it "lock" itself, hear the "all locked up noise" and have that setting ONLY last as long as I have the computer running *for that session*, but unlock itself next time I reset the computer?

Makes no sense to me from a UI perspective.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Oh I agree, something's wrong. The locks work for me after restarts and I don't have it set to have everything locked. I'm not sure what could be causing this though, sorry. I haven't seen it before. I'm sure it'll be a conflicting file or process, but I dunno where to start looking. :eek: