Locked/Unlocked Iphone Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pauly1, Nov 20, 2013.

1. pauly1 macrumors regular

Most iphones i see many seem to only work with 1 carrier right? Such as virgin mobile has iphone and these iphones only work with virgin mobile? I also read that unlocked phones are very expensive. Im confused about unlocked phones. Are these iphones phones that dont have any brand listed on the actual phone at all?

So if you have an iphone that is t mobile, if you want to unlock it and use it to another carrier, you have to go and have it unlocked if you want to use it with att or virgin mobile? What im confused is i always thought for virgin mobile... that phone has to be virgin mobile or am i wrong here?

Another thing is for example if i buy an iphone from virgin mobile... will it say virgin mobile on the actual phone like on the bottom of it? Reason is b/c i had an android phone from virgin mobile optimus v and it said virgin mobile on the bottom.

Also for unlocking, how much does it cost to unlock a phone? So can someone have an iphone for att and then few months later unlock it and go to t mobile and then few months later on go to virgin mobile?

But if you know what carrier you want... then obviously you just go and get the iphone for that carrier and not bother with an unlocked one right?

2. nigameash macrumors 6502

iPhones don't have the brand labelled on them unlike android phones. The cost of unlocking varies from carrier to carrier, some do it for free and some charge a fee ranging from $50-$100 (in Canada). If you have a locked phone, you have to get it unlocked from the original carrier. Unlocked phones are more expensive initially but I find them cheaper in the long run. In Canada you need to sign a 2 or 3 year contract wherein you pay at least $60/month. I can buy an unlocked phone and get a $35 plan with the same features as the $60 plan. Go check out the virginmobile canada website for differences in silver, gold and platinum plans.

3. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

the Verizon iPhone 5/5s/5c comes unlocked already and can be used on not only verizon, but on any of their virtual network operators and and GSM carrier as well.