Locking DVD region removes superdrive wakeup sound?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jisuo, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Jisuo macrumors 6502

I read that statement sometime ago on this board I think. Is there any truth to it at all? Sounds kinda fishy to me.

Not that I am irritated by the sound, but no sound is always better than sound.

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

that does sound kind of odd. dont see why that would be true at all since locking the region has nothing to do with the hardware.

3. Jisuo thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah. I tried to search for the thread where I read it, but couldn't find it either. Probably nothing then.

4. vanc macrumors 6502

Well, it's kind of true to me. When I first got MBP 15 3 weeks ago, I always heard the super drive cracking on start up (no on wake up). Last week, I put a DVD movie in the drive and OSX asked me for the region. It was set to region 6 (China) as the default (probably because it's made in China). After I set to region 1, I just watched the movie.

After that I rebooted the BMP a couple of times (usually once a week), to my surprise, I did not hear the lound cracking sound any more.

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i had the same experience as you but the superdrive still makes that noise. maybe it's the June MPB that does it. still doesnt make sense tho haha.