Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bollweevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
I have two general questions:

1. How do I lock a folder and all of its contents and subfolders so that no program can alter them? I have discovered the "lock" checkbox in Get Info, but it doesn't lock subfolders, which is a deal-breaker.

2. Right out of the box, my MacBook Pro had 43 processes running after startup, including activity monitor. Now it has 48. I have not looked at my screenshots and identified the 5 newbies specifically. If I did that, and I deemed them unnecessary, how could I block those processes?

Thanks.

Trip.Tucker

Mar 13, 2008
There are numerous threads/posts on this forum explaining how to create a locked folder, but to shortcut to the answer, an encrypted dmg is the easiest and quickest (as well as portable) method to take.

As for your question on processes, unless you understand what you are looking at, do a little research. You will not see a situation where you have zero processes running after bootup. (perhaps right before the system powers off on an init 0)

bollweevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
There are numerous threads/posts on this forum explaining how to create a locked folder, but to shortcut to the answer, an encrypted dmg is the easiest and quickest (as well as portable) method to take.

As for your question on processes, unless you understand what you are looking at, do a little research. You will not see a situation where you have zero processes running after bootup. (perhaps right before the system powers off on an init 0)

Hm, the .dmg option might work.

Regarding the processes, I don't want to have 0, I want to have 43. The MacBook Pro came from the factory with 43, so I should be able to get there. There are 5 newbies that installed themselves, and I suspect I don't need them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.