Locking folders on a networked hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bw1981, May 22, 2010.

1. bw1981 macrumors newbie

Disclaimer: if there's a more appropriate place to post this query, please let me know and I'll move it.

Here's my setup: I have three Macs and one PC sharing a wireless network with a Belkin N+ router and a 2 TB external HD shared via the router. The HD is formatted in NTFS as a legacy of originally being mostly used with the PC (and the router will only read NTFS.) I've installed NTFS-3G to be able to read and write to the drive from the Macs. Everything works dandy.

My question: I'd like to be able to restrict access to one of the folders on the HD somehow; either to just one of the Macs, or via password. I have no clue where to start with this.

Any ideas? Your help is most appreciated.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. bw1981 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice GGJstudios. I should have mentioned that when I Control-Click and go to the "Info" box, under sharing and permissions, I don't have any options to change. It simply states that I can read and write.

The "Locked" checkbox in the General section doesn't work either. I assume this has something to do with having a NTFS formatted disk. I'm curious if there's a way around this.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, if you actually read some of the threads in the link I posted, you'll see detailed discussions about this very topic. You can't do it from the Get Info box, and it has nothing to do with NTFS.