Locking individual desktop icons/creating dead space?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lpobsession2005, Mar 27, 2010.

1. lpobsession2005 macrumors member

I'm linking a pic to illustrate what i want, because I realize that typed instructions are probably really hard to understand in my case :/

I have a MBP on 10.5.8 and i want to lock only a specific 4 icons to prevent dragging from a spot on my desktop. Reason being is that I have a side dock that I made out of images with the GeekTool, and i placed my four icons that I use the most there, and i dont want them to be able to be drug out. Also, I want to create a kind of "dead space" on the desktop so that things saved there won't be plopped on the default top right spot, rather beneath my home made sidebar because i have a yahoo widgets informer running across the top and icons wind up behind it all the time and that's just messy.

Any little desktop manager apps or anything anyone knows about? I know this is VERY specific but there's got to be a way, even if i have to create blank icons for the two spots above my side dock that's fine, i can make a blank PNG file but i don't know how to do that without naming it and just having random text.

2. lpobsession2005 thread starter macrumors member