Locking Mac applications with a password

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by polishboi1990, Apr 21, 2009.

1. polishboi1990 macrumors newbie

Is there an application that would allow me to lock certain applications in Mac so every time someone using my computer wants to launch the app will have to type a password?

I want to lock my iPhoto with a password because my friends are looking through my pictures and deleting them without my knowledge

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

You could enable Parental Controls on your account -- System Preferences > Parental Controls.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Don't let them use your user account?

Make another account that's only a standard one and not an administrator.

4. polishboi1990 thread starter macrumors newbie

i dont want to make another account because then i would have to relogin so many times, i need to know if there is a specific application that would be designed just to control other applications and lock them with a passcode or even administration password... thanks for the replies btw

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Fast user switching.

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

When you make a new account, make it so that you still get logged in automatically when the computer is turned on (it will come up with that option when you make the new account), and also enable fast user switching so that you can click on the menu bar and immediately switch to the other account (and the same to switch into your own).

7. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Using Parental Controls, you can block specific applications, requiring an administrator's password to open them.

8. portent macrumors 6502a

Trust me, it is much, much easier to set up a Guest user account, and switch between them, than to use Parental Controls or some other method to lock yourself out of your own applications.

Really. That's the way OS X was designed to operate, from the ground up, from day one. It's quick to set up and seamless to use and switch between accounts.