Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brinkeguthrie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2020
I like to view Safari just as you see it here. Enlarged big enough so you still see the dock. Is there some way to have it show up this way each time when you launch it, w/o having to manually re-size?
Screenshot 2022-11-26 at 11.02.41 AM.png

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
In Safari Preferences > Advanced screen, there is an option for Style Sheet. Looks like you can create a customized Safari page, and make that the default. I've never tried this, and don't know for sure if that's what it does. It might be worth searching on Apple Support to see if you can find out what this is for, and, if it's what you want, how to create your own. Maybe someone else knows about this and can enlighten us.

Your screen shot looks like Theater Mode, which is available on some web sites, such as YouTube.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Apple has a serious "window management" problem. The entire OS just simply doesn't like to remember window position or sizes. While it's not a major issue, it's highly annoying and it's been that way for years and years.

I deal with it by using Rectangle and FinderFix (both free), but I really shouldn't have to.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
My Dock is on the left (menubar at the top of course) and I run most apps "zoomed" (hold pointer over the green button and select Zoom) which fills the screen leaving both the dock and menubar visible.

When I close and re-open my apps, they correctly open back to the zoomed state (I don't use Stage Manager which messes things up). I use Firefox rather than Safari, but I've just opened Safari and it's opened fully zoomed exactly as I left it the last time I opened it.

So, everything works for me, assuming I have the app zoomed when I close it. Otherwise, as expected, it opens to whatever size it was when it was last opened.

Is that what you're wanting? For Safari to open zoomed even if you close it with a different size? If so, configure double-clicking an app's titlebar to zoom rather than minimise (it's in System Settings as it affects every app) and just double click the titlebar whenever necessary.

For something more automated and complex, see the below. You'd need to change full-screen to zoomed.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
The entire OS just simply doesn't like to remember window position or sizes. While it's not a major issue, it's highly annoying and it's been that way for years and years.
I agree that this is the case for Finder windows. It started with the introduction of Spaces. They seemingly cannot reconcile the flexibility of that feature (now Mission Control) with the previous "rigidity" or reliability of Finder window positioning for each folder that you open.

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
I’ve always used my “main” apps (Safari, Mail, Music, and a few others) in the same filled-screen show-dock mode as OP and they’ve always remembered their size. Is it only Safari you get the problem with?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.