Locking the computer when stepping away from it....seems simple enough?? Right?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jdl8422, Jan 11, 2008.

1. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

Well I think I am pretty savy when it comes to my computer so it bothers me that I can not figure this out. I was wondering if there is a way to password lock the computer when I step away, and not log off and close all my programs. Any ideas?

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

This is a MacWorld article I found on the subject.

My favourite solution is enabling fast user switching and actually showing the login window without actually having to logout.

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

1. (This is just a suggestion for this part) Go into Preferences/Expose & Spaces, and set up the bottom left screen corner for "start screen saver".

2. Go to Preferences/Security and select "Require password to wake ..."

3. There is no step 3.

When you move the mouse over the bottom left corner and keep it there for 1/2 a second or so, your screen saver will come on, and you'll need to enter your password to get back in.

Edit: I started writing this before Fleetwood Mac posted that article - I see it suggests doing exactly what I do.

4. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

In System Prefs > Security enable "require password to wake from sleep or screensaver" and then launch the Keychain Access app in your Utilities folder. Go to Preferences in Keychain Access. Enable Show status in menubar. You now have a little lock icon in your menubar. You can use it to lock your screen. Rock on.

5. jdl8422 thread starter macrumors 6502

jdl8422

ahhh... Seems so easy now. Thanks for all the replies

6. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

You can also try a program called Dockables. It's a package of applications that do different things and can be placed in your dock. I use the lock screen all the time. It is like logging out because it brings you to the log in screen but all your apps are still running just the way you left them.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/dockables.html

Attached Files:

7. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

The easiest way to lock your system is to go to Keychain Access and click on Preferences. Place a check in the box for Show Status in Menu. A small padlock will appear on your menu bar. So now whenever you prepare to walk away from your system. Click on the padlock in your menu bar and select lock screen. You'll first have to make sure your system needs a password to wake from sleep or screen savor is turned on.

8. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

Great suggestion! This is now my new method of locking the screen, works great.

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

LMAO. As easy as two steps! That's incredible!

10. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

These are a couple of good "mouse" solutions, but often I'm standing at my desk and decide to walk away. "Windoze-L" was super fast on the keyboard, it's a lot slower to grab the mouse, go to the corner and wait, or select the menu lock and click. A keyboard equivalent would be great, far easier when standing.

11. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

12. Meecrob macrumors member

Meecrob

Well great solutions, but..

I want my isight camera to see when I leave and automatically lock ;)

13. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

Funny, I can move my mouse to a corner ALOT faster than hitting a keyboard combo (and why would you have to wait?)

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

exactly what i do and works great

15. JudgeDanny macrumors regular

I second that!!! that's very good to know!!!!!!!

16. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i rememebr reading there was a little app that recognized your phone (via bluetooth) when you got close to your computer and it would unlock the automatically when you got near the computer and whne you walked away as soon as the bluetooth range declined the computer locked itself... i ll try to dig it out it was here in macrumors that i read about it too..

17. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

Don't when standing. Option key and another key (L?) are in the same place all the time. Mouse is whereever it was left, in whatever orientation it was left in. That plus the inadvertant "oops I didn't mean to go to the corner, now I'm locked" incidents...

Not a biggie, just keeping my ears open for a solution that doesn't require an app.

18. superspud macrumors regular

please elaborate on this a little more. i was trying to figure out how to do this today actually... i want to be able to logout without having all of myapplications closing...

19. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I was going to say that is the most elegant solution I've read about. It works exactly like the new cars that detect when the key fob to far away from the car and locks it.

20. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Its called "Blue Lock" Looks like its only for PC though. Somebody care to re-compile it for Mac? :D

21. AgeGundam macrumors newbie

AgeGundam

Here's for a simple solution if anyone is still looking for this is the GateKeeper. It locks based on proximity. If you're outside the range that you set the computer will lock, if you're back into the range the computer will unlock.