Locking Threads Q's

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by iPhil, Jan 24, 2008.

1. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Is there a way automatically 'lock' a thread after a year the last post via Vb software?

The reason why i'm asking is i've been seeing allot ol' threads being re-hashed ..

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Some threads you might want to keep open depending on the subject while others should be closed.

3. iPhil thread starter macrumors 68040

iPhil

Like this 3M post Apple contest

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Software could lock threads automatically, but it takes human judgment to know if a thread should be locked. Sometimes old threads are still useful. In cases where someone has a new question about an old issue, an old thread can even provide more context than a brand new thread would.

Do thread resurrections cause a problem for you?

5. iPhil thread starter macrumors 68040

iPhil

Q: No i doesn't cause me a problem, but it's lil annoying for me to see some threads being 're-hashed' before looking @ the date on the last post before posting said reply .. :eek: :eek:

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Maybe we just need threads to fade and get smaller, as they age! Then again, if somebody does a forum search and finds an old thread, it was likely one of the top hits for the search terms they used.

It might be interesting to study a few such cases and try to figure out how they happened upon that particular old thread.