Locks for my macs

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macswitcha2, Oct 18, 2010.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

Does anyone know where I can purchase a lock to protect my macs from being stolen in case of a break in or something? I will like to lock my macs to my desk.

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Just take a look for Kensington locks. All Macs and most peripherals are kensington ready.

3. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

A few years ago at my office about a dozen laptops were stolen. About half of them were locked up with those locks. All of the locks were still connected to the desks and in the locked position. The thief just pulled really hard or something. I think the problem is that laptops just have a plastic hole which bends, tears, or cracks easily. I'm not sure a stamped hole in sheet metal would be much better.

The thief, who turned out to be our security guard, was caught on video loading his car with the laptops. As our security guard, he was aware of the video camera. I really have no words for this stupidity.

5. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

It doesn't take much intelligence to get a job as a security guard.

In any case, locks of any type will only slow down professionals, but they will deter amateurs and would-be thieves.

6. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

7. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Personally, I don't think it's possible to rip out a Kensington out of the Apple hardware. In Apple's MBP line, the aluminium surrounding the hole is approximately 3mm thick, no way to crack that without brute force which would ultimately destroy the enclosure.

I'm not saying that it won't be possible, the lowered resell value (which is what thieves are after) wouldn't make it effective, though. Much easier to bring a small bolt cutter, cut the wire and pick the lock afterwards.