Lockscreen notifications a letdown

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by h00ligan, Oct 6, 2011.

1. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Same ugly bubbles, IMO they don't fit.. But that's minor.

I fail to see why we still don't have 'at a glance' planner function.

Am I missing something? If not the lockscreen is still pretty useless. IMO it should be much more like palm, Lockinfo, etc.

Thoughts?
    Yes I understand it could be a privacy risk but certainly less than opting me in to sync every app data.

2. Tito Georgie macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

The bubble only shows for the recent notification. After it turns like this, just took a screen shot to show you.

[​IMG]

3. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

I'm using iOS 5 on the iPad.
    I wish there was a way to delete notifications on the lock-screen.

Also, if I clear a notification in the Notification Center, I would have thought that, that action would have cleared the badge. Apparently not.

4. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Baby steps, this is what Apple does. They want to be able to go on at the next keynote for iOS and brag about how much they've improved it.

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Careful, I brought up the spoon feeding apple does one guy almost had a stroke.

6. mms13 macrumors 6502

This is my only gripe with the notifications. It SHOULD clear the badge.

7. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

Richard you can turn off notifications in the lock screen on an app by app basis. It's in the settings.

[​IMG]

Your other point is good. There is no real tie in. If it is cleared, clear the badge. If it isn't, show the notification still. At present unlocking the phone clears all notifications from the lock screen, but not from the shade.

It lacks continuity and polish...IMO.

The big thing is, to me, you still can't glance at your phone and see due tasks, appointments etc. since that's added in the shade, I guess they considered privacy...but that should be our option.

8. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

Reason it doesn't clear the badge is because the notification center's primary purpose is to let you know if you missed anything all in one place. Just because you cleared it from the notification center doesn't mean you actually went into the app. For example, I get a text message and clear the notification. If I didn't actually go into the texting app and read the text then why should the badge go away? Especially if you had multiple text messages from one person. I would assume it only shows the latest message from a person so just because you read their last message in the notification center doesn't mean you saw all the previous ones they sent. If you really don't like it you should just turn off badges, I think they both serve their own purpose.

9. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

Just want to be sure I'm not missing something... Alerts on the lock screen are removed when you unlock and don't show in the notification center, right? No way to get them to carry over until I choose to clear them?

10. mostlydave macrumors regular

My thoughts exactly, otherwise what's the point? this should work like lockinfo.

And where are the widgets? what's the point of a pull down weather widget you can't put on the lockscreen?

11. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

What I mean by unable to delete notifications on the lock screen: say I receive an email alert. Ok, I glanced at the notification I know what the email is about, now want to "mark as read" or "clear" the notification. At present time, I cannot without opening the mail app.

12. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

Only peeve I have is that lets say you don't handle any missed notifications, and slide to unlock to lockscreen, then relock the phone (without check notification center) it disappears instead of still showing on the lockscreen.

13. mostlydave macrumors regular

I disagree, if I miss a call and see it on the lockscreen or clear it in the pull down shade, why would it make sense to need to open the phone app to clear the badge? They should be linked and not require an extra step to clear. In even works the other way, if you ignore the lockscreen and the pull down and go into the phone app it clears the lockscreen and pulldown. Why not the other way around?

14. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

That too is annoying.

It's clear Notification Center isn't polished.

15. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

Incorrect. They remain in the notification center until checked or cleared. However once unlocked they never show in the lockscreen again.

I agree with Dave.

Anyway the shade is sorta ok, it's a shame they didn't allow that functionality n lockscreen.

Ooh I just realized how stupid this is on iPad with smart cover. iPad unlocked when opening smart cover...notifications cleared before you even see them.

Guess you could turn off auto unlock or just pull the shade down.

Again it's just not smooth, something we are relatively used to from apple.

16. mostlydave macrumors regular

I think notification center is ok, but I really expect better than ok or half cooked from Apple. It just feels like a tacked on add on right now instead of an integrated well running system.

17. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Does clock alarm turn up in the notifications center and lock screen?

18. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Major security hole. The lock screen is there for a reason.

19. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

Again that should be a consumer's choice.

They opt in for all app data when using iCloud, but don't opt the notifications...inconsistent.

20. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

Im glad it doesn't work that way. Clearing it from the notification center doesn't mean you've viewed the notification. It means you are aware it is waiting for you. The badge stays to let you know you have unseen notifications in the app still, wether you are aware of them or not

21. mostlydave macrumors regular

Why do I need a notification that tells me a missed a call from someone and then to open up the phone app to see it again? It's an extra step. This should be optional so both of us can have it the way we like it.

----------

I agree, you should at least have the option available and how about the weather widget on the lockscreen? they could at least have done that!

22. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

The badge seems to check with the app to see if you've opened it and that's why it doesn't clear. I'll probably just disable badges coming from Android where I never used them anyway.

23. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Apple does not even know what real notifications are. I am sorry and I love Apple but they have been stubborn about even getting close to other devices when it comes to notifications.

To start how hard would it be to put a LED indicator anywhere on the phone!

I give up on any improvement in notifications.