Lockups, freezing etc

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iNeko, Apr 19, 2008.

1. iNeko macrumors regular

Lately, my macbook pro has been giving me severe hard lockups (it'll just freeze, meaning I have to hold down the power button to turn it off). Playing games on it for long amounts of time, or if I'm doing a lot of things at once (to the point where it's paging out) will freeze the machine - yet I can still move the cursor around and audio carries on playing.

I've done a search on this, and seen that a lot of people are having problems with lockups when it comes to external displays - well, I have no external display, the only 3rd party attachments to the machine are a Logitech VX Revolution, and 2gb of Crucial RAM (both of which have been with the machine since I bought it)...

My Macbook Pro is out of warranty now (by 2 months) and it was bought as a refurb - it's an original 15" 2.0ghz Core Duo with the 100gb 7200rpm harddrive. It gets extremely hot, even though I have the fans at 5500rpm virtually all the time (even now it's at 50˚C and I just have safari open), could my lockups be down to temperatures/bad thermal paste - or is it something more sinister?

[Edit] Just noticed something in the CrashReporter log, it seems every time the machine has crashed, there has been an error in the FanControlDaemon, could smcFanControl be messing things up?

2. iNeko thread starter macrumors regular

I think I've fixed it - I found FanControlDaemon in startup items, removed it and my fans seem to be working properly and my temps are a bit lower - oddly enough