lodsys and patents

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by hbunting, May 24, 2011.

?

Is my thinking in this post flawed or not?

Poll closed Jun 7, 2011.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. hbunting macrumors newbie

The issue with IAP and Lodsys it gave me something to think about. This isn't the first time I've read about patents in the software arena. I wanted to get some feedback from fellow people who also have this on their mind and professionals such as patent holders and patent lawyers. I don't know of a suitable platform for this discussion, but as this is to do with apps written for the iOS devices I'd post here.

First, I've read the Lodsys blog and the last question replies with "You would like people to pay for your product and services, so would we.". My question is, what product am I exactly getting from Lodsys? It's not as if lodsys manufactures a product and I sneak into their warehouse and steal a case in the middle of the night.

I agree that patents do have a place although somewhat monopolistic. If I spent the money to develop a product like companies such as Apple and Microsoft who spend billions to not just come up with the idea, but to produce, perfect, market and sell. I'm talking about products like usb, lcd displays, windshield wipers for a car and so on.

Looking at the IAP issue, how much time does it take to brainstorm things like this? Perhaps I should patent the idea of say using NFC, an iPhone and a special door lock to replace keys and then wait 5-10 years for say yale to make it and demand money from them for stealing my idea.

You can't tell me the kind folks at Lodsys spent thousands, yet alone millions or billions on developing this (not talking the cost to register the patent). Anyone can do that. In my POV these kind of patents are like setting up bear-traps for innovation.

I can remember envisioning watching tv shows on my computer back in the 90s. Remember back when videos were smaller than the size of a postcard? I would be raking it in from all of the major networks and the likes of others like netflix, blockbuster, iTunes and so forth.

Is there somewhere in my thinking that is flawed?

2. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

Well…, there's what is and what should be - making it difficult to vote for any of your choices.