Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Patent holding firm Lodsys, which has received tremendous publicity fortargeting iOS and Android app developers in a patent dispute over the developers' use of in-app purchasing and upgrade links within their apps, has amended the list of defendants in its lawsuit on the manner to include a number of high-profile gaming firms.

lodsys_edison_quote.jpg

As detailed by FOSS Patents, Lodsys has now included Angry Birds developer Rovio, Electronic Arts, Atari, Square Enix, and Take-Two Interactive in its complaint. From the amended complaint regarding Rovio:
Defendant Rovio has infringed and continues to infringe, directly, indirectly, literally, under the doctrine of equivalents, contributorily, and/or through the inducement of other, one or more claims of the '565 patent. Rovio makes, sells, uses, imports, and/or offers to sell infringing applications, including but not limited to Angry Birds for iPhone and Angry Birds for Android, which infringe at least claim 27 of '565 patent under 35 U.S.C. § 271.
Besides adding the five game studios to its lawsuit, Lodsys also dropped Vietnamese developer Wulven Games from the suit, making for a total of eleven developers and companies targeted by the suit. All told, Lodsys has targeted 37 entities in suits related to a number of patents, with defendants ranging from small developers to major firms such as HP, Best Buy, The New York Times Company and EA.

Apple previously stepped forward to assist iOS developers being targeted by Lodsys, claiming that Apple is "indisputably licensed" to the intellectual property in question and that third-party developers are covered by that license. Apple has also filed a motion to intervene in the lawsuit and take on the role of a defendant and counterclaim plaintiff.

Article Link: Lodsys Takes On Gaming Heavyweights Including Rovio, EA, and Atari in Patent Dispute

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
They should pull the troops out of Afghanistan and send them to Lodsys's office in the continued fight against terrorism

litchie

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
what they did with the patent is to sue, not to protect something they make. That's the difference.

gglockner

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Bellevue, WA
Eventually, the hubris of Lodsys will lead them to sue God, or at least Larry Ellison. I predict that verdict will be in favor of the defendant.

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
For some of these big buys, it may be cheaper to just pay them, but I hope they fight them instead, out of principle. A patent of upgrading? WTF!?

color guy

macrumors member
May 28, 2003
us
love the quote from Edison.
apparantly much of what he "invented" was actually done by his team.
He was just good at exploiting and marketing and extracting patent fees.

thelonelylimo

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2010
Ohio
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8K2)

seems as if Lodsys is attempting suicide...

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Is it not suicide though because they have nothing to lose. They don't sell anything to the public and if someone needs to license their patent they will pay. I just wish there was a way to ensure they would have to cover all related legal costs if they lose. Right now they are essentially free rolling risking only their own legal fees vs the pay out of large settlements and licensing deals. It sucks.

trevelyn

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2007
There ya go, Thomas, I fixed your quote for you:

"I never did anything by accident,
nor did any of my inventions come by accident; they came by work and ripping off Nikola Tesla."
-Thomas Edison

TheAppleDragon

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

What's next?

"Lodsys Takes On Humans over Breathing Patents"?!

These guys are nuts!

How did they get one nanometer with this junk? :p

Joker2206

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2008
There ya go, Thomas, I fixed your quote for you:

"I never did anything by accident,
nor did any of my inventions come by accident; they came by work and ripping off Nikola Tesla."
-Thomas Edison

I couldn't compose it better than this.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
Why am I hearing all this about patent trolls and other stuff. The company, Lodsys, is just trying to protect their patents which they should do as a good business decision.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
Exactly, I am an Apple fanboy and I think Lodsys is doing the right thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

nervouk

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2002
tokyo
Losing the case should be the least of Lodsys guy's worries. If he messes with too many people they're gonna find his body in a dumpster in a grubby alleyway somewhere, and a list of suspects too long to investigate.

PapaStu

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Unfortunately 'Atari' (or should I say Infogrames) hasn't been a heavyweight for some time in the gaming world. I guess one big game has made Rovio a gaming heavyweight as well? Yes Rovio has gotten lots of downloads, but they haven't released anything in over a year that isn't an Angry Birds update.

The fun will end soon enough for Lodsys. I'm sure at some point they're going to sue the government for the way the some state/national entity collects money online and really end things for themselves.

dennno

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Losing the case should be the least of Lodsys guy's worries. If he messes with too many people they're gonna find his body in a dumpster in a grubby alleyway somewhere, and a list of suspects too long to investigate.

Reminds me of the Simpsons Mr.Burns episode.

Except Lodsys is a much bigger troll. It puzzles me as to why they continue with this pointless venture. Everyone knows they don't actually have a business running, unless you call waiting for a big company to infringe on patents a business. It's definitely not an ethical one. I really hope they meet their demise. Karma is looking your way Lodsys!

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Think about it this way, the troops are fighting for people who make up Lodsys can continue to do what they do. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.