Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Becordial

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
This is even more absurb than the one-click to buy patent cases which Amazon are trying on. There is nothing novel about clicking to buy anything and the patent office need to knock back a lot more applications.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
This is even more absurb than the one-click to buy patent cases which Amazon are trying on. There is nothing novel about clicking to buy anything and the patent office need to knock back a lot more applications.

So no inventions should be protected except the one's you agree with.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
No software should be patentable. Software = math. Math cannot be patented. Ergo, software should not be patented. The sooner the Supreme Court realizes that and changes patent law, the better it will be for the software industry which will still have copyright law to protect themselves.

TexasAggie

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2010
No software should be patentable. Software = math. Math cannot be patented. Ergo, software should not be patented.

Wonderful logic. How about this:

No chemical compound should be patentable. Chemical compound = atoms. Atoms cannot be patented since they occur naturally. Ergo, no chemical compound should be patented.

Software uses math, but it isn't a mathematical property or theory.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Sorry, all software is a way of mathematically expressing instructions, a form of speech. Copyright law is all you need. Patents are for inventions, not speech.

jackr

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2008
By no means the only example ...

No news, of course, that this is not an isolated case. But it does seem like it's becoming more "popular." For instance, Daniel Stenberg reports that curl is under seige:

This Patent Troll thus basically claims that curl violates a patent on resumed file transfers!

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Apple had better do something to protect the developers. Probably every app in the App Store violates someone's software patent, somewhere, somehow. How could anyone ever know?

Now there's blood in the water.

TexasAggie

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2010
Sorry, all software is a way of mathematically expressing instructions, a form of speech. Copyright law is all you need. Patents are for inventions, not speech.

Since you're going for weak arguments, why not just say all software is ones and zeroes, and both of those have been known for millennia.

I've asked this question before. Say you invent an unbreakable encryption algorithm. You can implement it in hardware or in software. Why is it that you would allow the hardware version to be patented but not the software version? Other than "software=speech" I mean.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

Copyright protects implementation. Software is usually an implementation of a set of tasks to be performed by a computer, as documented in a specification. Patents are made on these specifications, which are neither maths nor an expression of instructions.

You should not comment if you have never done any kind of analyst work. There's more to software than just code.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
solar-powered-led-flashlight.jpg

My first patent, solar-powered flashlight, mine is different, Ive managed to reduce the weight substantially by removing the batteries, leaving solar power the only power source.

Coming soon, Ejector seat for helicopters.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
So no cease & desist? I guess you only use that if your company actually does something in the first place, no money in that.

Can't they just take down the lite versions and they no longer have a case?

In any case, software patents should be based on specific implementations, and not abstract ideas. But that won't change any time soon, so I hope Apple can invalidate their patents somehow as I doubt any of these small time developers will be able to hold up in court.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007

My first patent, solar-powered flashlight, mine is different, Ive managed to reduce the weight substantially by removing the batteries, leaving solar power the only power source.

Coming soon, Ejector seat for helicopters.

You followed up a lame cliché with an actual invention. the Kamov Ka-50 has an ejection seat.

Mattstkc

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2009
Chicago, IL
Copyright protects implementation. Software is usually an implementation of a set of tasks to be performed by a computer, as documented in a specification. Patents are made on these specifications, which are neither maths nor an expression of instructions.

You should not comment if you have never done any kind of analyst work. There's more to software than just code.

So I'm Lodsys. I patent the in-app purchase procedure.

What about the patent for a redirect?

What about the patent for clicking?

What about the patent for scrolling with a mouse or finger to click?

What about the little blue progress bar patent?

What about the patent for displaying text input on a screen?

I'm sure I could go on but everyone should get the absurdity here as I'm sure all of these things have been patented at some point.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
No they didn't.

Reading the Abstract :

In an exemplary system, information is received at a central location from different units of a commodity. The information is generated from two-way local interactions between users of the different units of the commodity and a user interface in the different units of the commodity. The interactions elicit from respective users their perceptions of the commodity.

I understand this is over the typical :

Did you like Mix n' Mash LITE ? You can upgrade to the full version by touching here

However, the App Store is not receiving information that was generated by that interaction. The App Store is not receiving the "Yes I did like it, no I didn't like it" response of the user, as the App Store has no such functionality (unless of course the dev implemented something of the sort). The App Store is only receiving a request to display and offer for purchase the full application, basically, like a link.

Otherwise, they have patented making links with a question. Like :

Would like to read news for nerds ?

Your computer (the commodity) is going to send a request to Slashdot's web server (central location) after generating "information" (your answer to this question) from a 2 way interaction (the post on this page asking the question and you answering it).

This is pretty vague and there's probably tons of prior art for this. Unless there's more to this in the details of the patent.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
um, no.

Did you read the patent? It has a very early priority date, before people were thinking about this sort of thing.

Um, something tells me you don't quite understand the patent system requirements. Your 'early priority date' point covers only one aspect of the requirements to get a patent. It *could* potentially be considered 'novel' at the time if, as you say, it is "before people were thinking about this sort of thing". However, it completely ignores the whole factor of the *non-obvious to a practitioner ordinarily skilled in the art* requirement.

Hmm. I have a GUI and I want to be able to send people to product X. How about I add a *button* that sends them there!

This is just another example of the early patent rush on Thing-that-has-been-done-with-paper-for-years *on a computer!*. (It was later supplanted with *over a network!* and then *on the internet!*, and has currently swung back around to *as software running on a general purpose computing device that isn't even remotely described in this patent application!*.)

Mattstkc

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2009
Chicago, IL

Why should tasks be patentable? That's like saying "I've patented the CAR! No one can build cars without my permission because I have patented the tasks for building a car!"

Tasks are not patentable in hardware, the hardware itself is what's patented, so in compliment, code is already protected therefore software patents have no place. Light was not patented, the Lightbulb was.

If I see something in someone elses software and can replicate that functionality with my own code I shouldn't be sued or have to pay someone to do it.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Since you're going for weak arguments, why not just say all software is ones and zeroes, and both of those have been known for millennia.

I've asked this question before. Say you invent an unbreakable encryption algorithm. You can implement it in hardware or in software. Why is it that you would allow the hardware version to be patented but not the software version? Other than "software=speech" I mean.

Oh, I *have* invented an unbreakable encryption algorithm. It's even implemented on nearly every computer OS in existence. The problem is it's completely useless, because it's *unbreakable*. Nobody can decrypt the encrypted content. (You do realize that that's what "unbreakable encryption" means, right?)

The other problem is that, like any piece of software, it is nothing more than mathematics, which is non-patentable subject matter.

TexasAggie

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2010
Hmm. I have a GUI and I want to be able to send people to product X. How about I add a *button* that sends them there!

Great, so show us some prior art from before 1992 that would have made this obvious? It should be easy since this is so broad of a patent claim as to border on the absurd.

Oh, I *have* invented an unbreakable encryption algorithm. It's even implemented on nearly every computer OS in existence. The problem is it's completely useless, because it's *unbreakable*. Nobody can decrypt the encrypted content. (You do realize that that's what "unbreakable encryption" means, right?)

The other problem is that, like any piece of software, it is nothing more than mathematics, which is non-patentable subject matter.

So to paraphrase, "I can't explain why doing something in hardware is patentable but doing the exact same thing in software isn't, so I'll be cute to try and hide the fact that I just said something idiotic like software=speech."

Last edited by a moderator:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Why should tasks be patentable?

That's not what I said. I said patents are over specifications usually. A group of tasks that is accomplished to get from an initial state to a result. That is what software patents are about and it happens to be what specifications are (think Processes, which are part of a specification. Is your process innovative and new ? Patent the heck out of it).

Think of the famous "Slide to unlock" patent. You have an initial state, a locked phone displaying a control to unlock it. The user then has to slide a finger across the control which will result in the phone changing the screen to the springboard UI which would let the user use the device as intended.

There's a specification somewhere at Apple that describes this process. Then there's code somewhere at Apple that implements this process as described by the specification. The code is copyrighted and no one can just take this code verbatim and distribute it in their own derivative work without a license from Apple. However, the actual process description itself would not be protected by mere copyright, as you could simply write your implementation of this specification from scratch and copyright would not cover it.

That's where Patents come in.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
You're arguing with a patent lawyer. Just throwing that out there so you don't embarrass yourself too much over it. ;)

Fair enough. That said, my point still stands. Early priority date has absolutely no impact on the non-obvious requirement.

Likewise, it also has no bearing on the fact that software, a branch of mathematics, is non-patentable subject matter according to the statute. (Of course, I can't help it that courts which don't understand that fact have consistently made the incorrect rulings on that matter.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.