lofty hopes for the end of the month

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ert3, Feb 19, 2008.

?

What features do you find most likley to be in the next firm ware version

Poll closed Feb 28, 2008.
  1. Flash

17 vote(s)
    68.0%
  2. iChat

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  3. File Manager

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. Docx support

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. Copy Paste

15 vote(s)
    60.0%
  6. SMS via WiFi

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. Disc Mode

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  8. Voice Recording

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  9. MMS

11 vote(s)
    44.0%
  10. I don't think new firmware will be released with the SDK

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

The iPhone has had dozens of very lofty rumors for the End of february. Though almost every firmware release has had false reports of possible features, the Speculated 1.1.4 or the now popular 2.0 has been predicted to come out at the end of the month along with the SDK.

Which of the above features do you find most likely.

2. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

SMS via wifi is HIGHLY unlikely IMHO. Unless they add UMA to the iPhone, which AT&T has not shown any interest in offering on ANY phones, they wouldn't use wifi for the SMS...what's the advantage?

3. ert3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ert3

To be honest i was confused as well I just posted options for the mac rumors iPhone news page and some i remembered from a while ago (like the 1.1.3 rumored voice notes and Disk mode).

Possibly though they might be thinking of a way to use your mac/pc to send SMS via your iPhone as a tunnel.

Yeah i know seems like a stretch but then again so does Disk-mode when you think of all the implications. If you have dealt with your iPhone intimately via jail-breaking you may be aware that the iPhone is formated in HFS+ format. Disk Mode for previous iPod worked out fine because the phone was formated by the computer it was plugged into so their was no need for creating a method to add HFS+ support for windows.

The issue with the iPHone came down to adding FAT support for OS:X or Denying/Delaying Disk-mode for the iPhone.

clearly they chose the latter.

The issue now being weather or not to finally release their grip on HFS+ and allow for a windows explorer interface with the iPhone or force people to install iTunes on every computer they wish to use their iPhone with in-order to make it double as a file-manager.

They also have the choice of making the iPhone disk partitions malleable and allow us to change their size for the sake of preserving HFS+ integrity.

In the end its a much more confusing process then writing an app which tunnels data to another app on your iphone which will act like a limited server.