Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spetykowski, Sep 14, 2009.

1. spetykowski macrumors member

I am having a really strange problem with my MBP (Stats are in my Sig) running 10.6.1. Whenever I start or restart my computer, the keyboard and track pad click are unresponsive at the login/password screen. The computer recognizes them and eventually enters them but the delay is almost 2 minutes long! I have logged out without restarting and I do not have this issue.

I have tired repairing permissions, and resetting PRAM. I am thinking about an Archive and Install.. Any other options?

Thanks.

2. celticpride678

The only thing I can think of is an Archive and Install. If that does not work, hardware issue.

3. spetykowski thread starter macrumors member

Yeah it is a really strange issue. Hopefully this will take care of the problem..

4. celticpride678

Please post back as I am really interested in what is causing this issue (never heard of it). I have a delay right at startup, but that is normal. But 2 minutes:eek:

5. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

6. spetykowski thread starter macrumors member

Yeah Ill A&I over night and report back in the morning. The delay is brutal espically since I power down my MBP in between classes at school. So booting the computer is long enough, and tacking another 2 min delay just to have my password entered is even worse. I'll update you in the am.

7. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

wow, i leave mine on 24/7,
    and restart only for updates.

8. spetykowski thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, if I'm not moving it from class to class. I leave it on all the time at home sitting on a stand, plugged into my external monitor.

I just finished the Archive and Install and it solved my problem.. It was a really strange issue, so I am glad it fixed it. I was unsure about A&I in 10.6 because of the lack of option, but when i selected the drive and clicked install it recognized the existing OS on there and began Archive and Install by itself.. Very please.

9. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

hmmm cool.
    ya i have mine connected to 4 external drives and an external monitor, but even if i bring it i still don't turn it off.
    but w/e
    thats weird in 10.6, i wonder how it is to do an erase and install.
    i should be upgrading some time this week, really want to do a erase and install but i think im going to have to stick with archive.
    i need some free time :(

10. spetykowski thread starter macrumors member

Wow 4 external, what kind? And are they all connected through a USB hub or only 2 connected to your laptop at a time? Also what external monitor are you using?

Yeah I originally did a clean install with time machine migration, but still ended up with this issue. I'm glad it's fixed. I really like snow leopard imo it's much quicker espically in start up and shutdown. With good improvments throughout the os

11. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

i have 3 connected through one hub and then one connected to the other usb port since i use that one a lot.
    1tb phantom
    500gb phantom
    120gb caviar in some random case
    80gb caviar in some random case
    and a westing house screen, love my screen.