Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Scarywhit, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Scarywhit macrumors newbie

Scarywhit

This one is driving me nuts. I have a client who bought the machine this way- he clicks on the icon at start up, and it would log him into the desktop. He never knew the password. It sounds like this is how the previous owner set it up, however I am baffled.

It is now not going to the desktop, but flashing white, and back to the log in screen.

I have run all ASDs and EFIs, TechTools, DiskWarrior, etc. There were some software issues that were fixed and nothing it found hardware being an issue.

I tried after all that, and still same issue.

Any help?!
    Thanks guys.

2. Scarywhit thread starter macrumors newbie

Scarywhit

To add to this- I have never seen so much dirt on the inside of a machine. The logic board was completely brown. The fans were brown. Gross.

3. mildocjr macrumors 65816

Hard to tell, I'm guessing you tried a PRAM reset to see if it's a hardware issue at log on?

You could try reinstalling the OS, it doesn't erase the user data but replaces the system files but that is my last ditch effort.

4. Scarywhit thread starter macrumors newbie

Scarywhit

mildocjr- I appreciate your input. Turns out my first instinct was correct. Bad Hard Drive. I think I was just getting frustrated with no proof of my gut feelings.

5. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Is the circle pink?

I have that on my computer just now using MacID from the app store. You log in with your iPhone/:apple Watch.

6. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

you have to erase the hard disk and reinstall os x.

you said it was a used computer and you say it has a pink circle. so therefor the hard disk needs to be reformatted of all the previous owners information and the operating system needs to be reinstalled

you can reinstall the operating system by either using command r during boot for recovery mode
    or i think option command r for internet recovery

or you can make a sd card of the full install

I've never seen a bad hard disk error icon. i don't think it shows any icons except a question mark or a blinking folder

7. mildocjr macrumors 65816

Glad you could pin-point the problem, hopefully that HDD doesn't give you a hard time trying to grab files off of it.