'logger' process in activity monitor

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blagga, May 4, 2008.

1. blagga macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I noticed a process running in activity monitor called 'logger' (just that). It seems to be part of the root user but i can't identify what it's connected to. Spotlight can't find it anywhere either. I've searched around on Google to see if there's any mention of it, but all i get are details of key logger software.

Naturally i'm a bit concerned by this process, especially because i haven't (voluntarily) installed any logging software on my machine.

It always seems to run at process ID 141, takes up 380KB of real memory, and 26.63 MB of virtual memory. no idea how long it's been there though. i've never seen it take up any CPU, but not sure if that means anything.

Any ideas what it might be? and if it's malicious, how might i go about getting rid of it?

2. jadowo99 macrumors newbie

RE: 'logger' process in activity monitor

I saw the same thing in my activity monitor. On my Mac (running OSX 10.4), it has a process ID of 181. Also, it is the parent to a process called "DeltaHelper" which is part of the M-Audio PCI audio card driver that I have installed.

I did a bit of googling myself, and found the following link in the Mac OS Developer Forum... not sure if it's the same 'logger' we're seeing in A.M., but it made me feel a bit better about this mysterious thing lurking on my Mac :)

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/logger.1.html