Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fowler.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Pasadena
I know Windows has a few programs that can log aim conversations that are taking place on a network.

Is there anything like that for OSX?

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
There are, they are very hard to use, and I can think of about zero legitimate reasons to do this. Depending what network you are on, this could be illegal as it is an invasion of privacy.

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
For reading IMs over a network with a Mac, I'd think you might need a packet sniffer of some kind. That is to say I don't know of a program that'll do this specifically, and unless these are your kids, I feel like this a questionably legal area.

RMD68

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
Adium logs all the chats that any users on one computer. This won't however log people on other computers. Like other posters said…unless you are logging your kids on the family computer receiving logs of private conversations would most likely be a illegal as an invasion of privacy.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
For reading IMs over a network with a Mac, I'd think you might need a packet sniffer of some kind. That is to say I don't know of a program that'll do this specifically, and unless these are your kids, I feel like this a questionably legal area.

Ethereal.

You need fink, though. And you need to set up various capture filters. And you gotta be lucky with your network setup.

That's all the help you're going to get out of me on it, aside from this: I've done it. And it isn't worth the effort.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Doesn't iChat encrypt its conversations?
Or am I way off.

iChat CAN encrypt them. Your choice. Default is to not. You need a security certificate on both people's computers, and as most people are not technical enough to make and install one... you get the idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.