Logging in

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Macowner2, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Macowner2 macrumors newbie

After logging in with my user name and pass number, up come welcome and the name.
    I then go into a forum to post to a thread say what I want, then go to the bottom of the page to submit new thread. On pressing submit up come a flag saying I must be a member to add to this thread. So once again I enter my user name and pass. It then returns me to my original entry, to which I press submit new thread. Guess what? Up comes a flag saying this is a duplicate of what I entered in the first place.:confused:
    My equipment is a iMac (6 months old) linked to the web via a :apple: Time capsule and modem.
    Any ideas please

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

How did you create this thread then?

What browser are you using, have you enabled "stay logged in" during one of your login attempts, does your username with a "welcome," before that appear on the top right, with a status about your last visit and private messages?

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I think it's something to do with Cookies.

Not sure though.

And I don't mean the kind that you eat :p.
    But, spinnerlys brought up a good point: How did you post this thread?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Is the forum you were trying to post in the PRSI?

Because you don't have enough posts to post there, so it will cause that error.

5. szark macrumors 68030

szark

If it happened exactly as he said, it might have been a synchronization issue between the servers, where one recognized his new membership but the other(s) hadn't.

6. Macowner2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Logging in

Hi All
    Many thanks for the replies.
    At present I am using Safari 4.0.2, the top RH of the screen did show the welcome flag. I then hit the Post Reply flag, not sure whether it was the top or bottom flag. Entered the message, I previewed the post then clicked submit. Up popped the you need to be a member to reply, on entering my user name and pass after a few seconds the reply page came back. So I pressed Submit reply again, then the duplicate flag came up.
    I seem to recollect the first time I had this saga I lost my reply and had to write it all out again, now I use command/C to store it ready to paste if necessary.
    Kind rgds to all

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Which thread was it?

That may help figure this out.

8. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

I suspect you have turned off cookies in your browser preferences which prevents the forum software from keeping you logged in.

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

See also the Forum Tips and Tricks section of our FAQ, where the use of the Remember Me? checkbox is described.