Logging out of one iCloud account and into another?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by stanw, Mar 10, 2015.

1. stanw macrumors 6502a

What will happen if I setup an Air2 with one iCloud account and later want to log out of that account and use another new one? Will this create problems with current downloaded apps, etc.? I'm trying to plan ahead because this ,right be a shared iPad.

Thanks.

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Sharing an iPad can be a tricky proposition. You can log in and out with different icloud accounts but it could make updates and keeping things neat and tidy hard to do.

Honestly, it's easier just to use one account and share that. If not, would it possible to get two ipads? Just curious. Me and the wifey tried to share my first ipad a while back and it just didn't work. Had to get her own. Happiness ensued. ;)

3. smitt macrumors newbie

It's possible to have an iTunes account Apple ID be different from an iCloud Apple ID if your concern is shared purchases. Also, Apple's Family Sharing is something to explore.

As s2mikey mentioned, things get messy when sharing an iCloud account, because of Reminders, Contacts, Bookmarks, and apps storing data on iCloud Drive. However, if purchases are your only concern, you can install from multiple iTunes store accounts by just signing in and out. The purchases will remain on your iPad until deleted, but any app updates will require that you sign in with the account that made the original purchase.