logging out of OS

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacsRock791, Aug 4, 2009.

1. MacsRock791 macrumors newbie

I just switched from windows/pc and want to know if it's possible to "logout" of an account without shutting down applications/internet connectivity. I used to be able to click "log off" (in windows) when I got up to leave my computer (for security) so that I would have to type in my username and password to get back in and applications such as AIM and internet connection were still available. Can you do this on a Mac? So far I only see options to log out completely or to put it into full sleep mode (signing you off of AIM and iChat).

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    This is an option.

Open System Preferences > Click Security > Check the box that says "Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver"

And you can either have a hot corner to easily activate screensaver, or just set it for a short time before it activates.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Fast User Switching:

System Preferences -> Accounts -> Click Lock on bottom left -> Type in password of Admin -> Click on Login Options -> Enable 'Fast User Switching'.

In your menu bar you'll have a little head/shoulders icon possibly with your user name. That menu will have all the user accounts and an option to send you to your 'Login Window', which will keep all your stuff open like on Windows.

jmann's is also a good option and essentially the same thing. But fast user switching is much more like what your thinking of.